public inbox for gnats-prs@sourceware.org
* gnats/308: No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
@ 2001-10-16 13:24 yngve.svendsen
From: yngve.svendsen @ 2001-10-16 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pdm-gnats, gnats-prs, bug-gnats

>Number:         308
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:

There is currently no way to specify input defaults for the multi-enumerated-in-file field type. Currently, it uses the first value of the associated admin file as default, in the same way as enumerated-in-file does. This is a problem, since multi-enumerated-in-file by its very nature should be able to have more than one default value.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
multi-enumerated-in-file should get a "default" dbconfig keyword, like multienum has, where you could supply a legally separated string of values which would then become the field default.
>Unformatted:

* Re: gnats/308: No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
@ 2001-10-20 11:41       ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-10-20 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: gnats-prs

At 21:19 10.12.2001 +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:

>     YS> Is it only the "separators" and "defaults" keywods that have to
>     YS> be in a specific order, or are there other such dependencies,
>
>`separators' has to be the last option if present.  I think the order of
>other options is not important.

OK, I documented that.

>     YS> and does this also go for defaults and separators in the
>     YS> multienum field type?
>
>I think `separators' mustn't be followed by any other option there too.

I just tested that, and it appears that the "separators" last rule does
_not_ apply to multienum fields.

- Yngve

* Re: gnats/308: No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
@ 2001-10-20  2:34       ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-10-20  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: gnats-prs

>     YS> Is it only the "separators" and "defaults" keywods that have to
>     YS> be in a specific order, or are there other such dependencies,
>
>`separators' has to be the last option if present.  I think the order of
>other options is not important.
>
>     YS> and does this also go for defaults and separators in the
>     YS> multienum field type?
>
>I think `separators' mustn't be followed by any other option there too.

OK, I'll write that in the manual. Shouldn't hurt to be extra careful.

- Yngve

* Re: gnats/308: No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
@ 2001-10-20  2:30     ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-10-20  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: gnats-prs

    YS> Is it only the "separators" and "defaults" keywods that have to
    YS> be in a specific order, or are there other such dependencies,

`separators' has to be the last option if present.  I think the order of
other options is not important.

    YS> and does this also go for defaults and separators in the
    YS> multienum field type?

I think `separators' mustn't be followed by any other option there too.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
I think any law that restricts independent use of brainpower is suspect.
                                               -- Kent Pitman in comp.lang.lisp

* Re: gnats/308: No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
@ 2001-10-20  2:10   ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-10-20  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: gnats-prs

At 23:34 09.12.2001 +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:
>If `separators' is present, then it must be the final item in the field
>definition, `defaults' must come sooner.  Is it this?
>
>(I admit this should be considered a bug, but it's not clear to me now
>why this happens with the given grammar.)

Yes, that was it, and things are working now. I'll update the docs as soon
as I can. Is it only the "separators" and "defaults" keywods that have to
be in a specific order, or are there other such dependencies, and does this
also go for defaults and separators in the multienum field type?

- Yngve

* Re: gnats/308: No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
@ 2001-10-19 13:44 ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-10-19 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: gnats-prs

    YS> GNATS still refuses to accept the "default" keyword in
    YS> multi-enumerated-in-file field definitions. The error message is
    YS> as follows:

    YS> 417 - Error at line 117 of
    YS> /usr/local/share/gnats/tt/gnats-adm/dbconfig:parse error

If `separators' is present, then it must be the final item in the field
definition, `defaults' must come sooner.  Is it this?

(I admit this should be considered a bug, but it's not clear to me now
why this happens with the given grammar.)

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Free software is about freedom, not about free beer.  If you care only about
the latter, you'll end up with no freedom and no free beer.

* Re: gnats/308: No way to set default values for multi-enumerated-in-file fields
@ 2001-10-18  9:54 Yngve Svendsen