public inbox for gnu-gabi@sourceware.org
From: Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>
To: Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
Cc: "binutils@sourceware.org" <binutils@sourceware.org>,
	ruiu@google.com, peter.smith@linaro.org, sguelton@redhat.com,
	gnu-gabi@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: RFC Adding a section group flag of 0
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2019 00:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Andreas,

>>   I would like to propose adding a new value to this list.  A value of 0.
>
> The value of 0 just means the absence of flags, doesn't it?

Right.  I just want to make it clear that a value of 0 is allowed
and that it means that there are no special processing semantics required.
The standard, as currently written is not 100% clear on this:

    The section data of a SHT_GROUP section is an array of
    Elf32_Word entries. The first entry is a flag word. The
    remaining entries are a sequence of section header indices.

    The following flags are currently defined:
    Figure 4-13: Section Group Flags

    Name 		Value
    GRP_COMDAT 		0x1
    GRP_MASKOS 		0x0ff00000
    GRP_MASKPROC 	0xf0000000

    GRP_COMDAT
       This is a COMDAT group. It may duplicate another COMDAT
       [...]

The problem is that this does not make it clear whether a value
of zero is allowed or an error.  So all I am really asking for
is some clarification in the wording of this part of the standard.

Cheers
  Nick