public inbox for gnu-gabi@sourceware.org
From: Suprateeka R Hegde <hegdesmailbox@gmail.com>
To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com>, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>
Cc: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@imgtec.com>,
	Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>,
	gnu-gabi@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: RFC: Program Properties
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 00:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 21-Oct-2016 11:16 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

>> * The information is stored in a new section in the file using the ELF
>>   NOTE format.  Creator tools (compilers, assemblers etc) place the notes
>>   into the binary files.  Consumer tools (none written yet, but readelf
>>   and/or objdump could be enhanced for this purpose) read the notes and
>>   answer questions about the binaries concerned.  Static linkers need
>>   special care to handle merging of the notes.
>>
>> * The information is stored in a section called .gnu.build.attributes.
>>   (The name can be changed - it is basically irrelevant anyway, it is
>>   the new section flag (defined below) that matters).   The section has
>>   the SHT_NOTE type and a new section flag set: SHF_GNU_BUILD_ATTRIBUTES.
>>   (Suggested value: 0x00100000).  This ndicates the special needs when
>>   merging notes (see below).
>>
>>   The sh_link field should be set to contain the index of symbol table
>>   section.  If this field is 0 then the consumer should assume that
>>   the first section of type SHT_SYMTAB in the section headers is
>>   symbol table being used.
>
> It doesn't sound like a note section, whose content should be
> described by the note type.  Will a new section type work
> better?

On HP-UX, we have similar stuff (build attributes) that records
information about build tools, time stamps, entire command line options,
and many more.

However, we do store this as a note type, but make it HP-UX specific
(.note.hp-ux...). We also have a tool called "footrprints" which parses
this note and prints the info in a very user friendly way. However, in
certain cases, the granularity of the information may not be upto symbol
level; it is only upto individual relocatable object file level.

Any reason why you think it does not sound like a note type?

BTW, I am happy that my thoughts mentioned in the psABI
(https://goo.gl/fgRa20) would be fulfilled as part of this big proposal.

--
Supra