public inbox for gnutools-advocacy@gcc.gnu.org
From: David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com>
To: lxoliva@fsfla.org
Cc: Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>,
	gnutools-advocacy@gcc.gnu.org,
	 "Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>,
	"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org>,
	iains.gcc@gmail.com
Subject: Re: GNU toolchain web page
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 00:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 9:47 AM Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva@fsfla.org> wrote:

> On Oct  6, 2018, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Please don't redirect a discussion about advocacy for the GNU
> > Toolchain and the design of the web page into a discussion about GNU
> > philosophy.
>
> The discussion was about what tools to use within this sub-sub-project..

No. That's not the discussion.  You're hijacking the discussion.  Please stop.

> Last I looked, GNU Tools were still part of the GNU Project.
>
> I happen to be a speaker for the GNU Project, which means its leadership
> trusts me to understand the values that matter for the project.
>
> And yet here you are, telling myself and the project leader, both
> significant advocates for the GNU Project, to keep GNU values out of the
> conversation about what tools to use to advocate for a significant
> portion of GNU.
>
> > And it discourages other people from joining and helping.
>
> Pushing proprietary software as a requirement to participate in a part
> of GNU does that in a far more harmful way.
>
> > Please stop making the conversation about you and your priorities.
>
> Please don't make that incorrect assumption.
> This is about GNU and GNU's priorities.
>
> > There are many other mailing lists and forums to discuss this topic
> > for those who wish to participate.
>
> Indeed.  And this has already been discussed and settled there:
> GNU does not use or promote non-Free Software.
>
> Can we continue the present discussion about what tools to use for GNU
> Tools advocacy within this framework?

No. That is not the discussion.  That is not your decision.  Please
stop hijacking this thread about your personal priorities.

You have made your request.  Please stop.  You are diverting the
discussion.  The rest of us are going to proceed with developing a
marketing campaign for the GNU Toolchain.  If you want to have a
debate about Tools for websites and FSF philosophy and FSF policy,
please go elsewhere.  I have asked you twice nicely.

You and others are welcome to develop your own advocacy for the GNU
Toolchain with whatever tools you wish.  Please do not insert yourself
into another group of self-organizing advocates and start ordering
them around about what they should do and how they should do it.  That
is rude.  That is arrogant.  Please stop.

Thanks, David