Dear all I have recently been bitten by what seems to be a design weekness in how the functions (function to be minimized, or system of ODE's) are defined. These function do not return a status value but the function value. This prevents to easily notifiy the caller (iterate) of a failure such as e.g. a domain error of one of its arguments or a failed malloc(). The function used in the non-linear least squares fit, however is implemented better as it returns a status value to the caller. Other parts of the GSL library, multi-dimensional root finding or one-dimensional minimization, e.g., take a slightly less optimal aprroach. Here the caller (iterate) checks, if the function value or its derivative, if applicable, is finite and issues an error otherwise. I think it would be worthwhile (maybe for a version 2.0) to implement a common definition for these functions like status = f(double *result, 'arguments', (void*) parameters); For a status different from 'GSL_SUCCESS' let the driver either take care of the failure (this depends on the application/algorithm) or let it fail propagating the status from the function to the user. Then the user can handle the situation in his main loop. I currently have no real idea how to prevent breaking of old user code by implementing this new interface while keeping the old in place: - for the 'GSL_XXX_EVAL_YYY' family of macros a simple wrapper would do the job. (allways return GSL_SUCCESS for the old style or analyze the result and then assign the status to be returned). - the fact that the new interface has one more argument could probably be handled by variable argument functions (never used these). - how to deal with the fact that the new style function is of different type (int instead of double)? Comments or suggestions? -- Dr. Ivo Alxneit Laboratory for Solar Technology phone: +41 56 310 4092 Paul Scherrer Institute fax: +41 56 310 2688 CH-5232 Villigen http://solar.web.psi.ch Switzerland gnupg key: 0x515E30C7