* unable to compile example program;
@ 2002-08-14  8:31 Y. U. Sasidhar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Y. U. Sasidhar @ 2002-08-14  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

1. I am trying compile the example program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h>

int
main (void)
{
  double x = 5.0;

  double y = gsl_sf_bessel_J0 (x);

  printf("J0(%g) = %.18e\n", x, y);

  return 0;
using

gcc gsl.c -o gsl

and getting the error:
undefined reference to `gsl_sf_bessel_J0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

OS redhat 7.1 on PIV
gsl version .7

2. How do I know which header file to include for a
given function and dependencies of the given function
on others.  The manual lists only function description
with return types etc. It does not mention header
files necessary and depedencies.
Sasidhar

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

* Re: unable to compile example program;
@ 2002-08-14  8:57 ` Ed Hill
From: Ed Hill @ 2002-08-14  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 09:31, Y. U. Sasidhar wrote:
> 1. I am trying compile the example program:

[*SNIP*]

> gcc gsl.c -o gsl
>
> and getting the error:
> undefined reference to `gsl_sf_bessel_J0'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Hi Sasidhar,

This is a link-time (ld) error, not a header problem.  You need to
provide the libraries containing the code declared in the header(s)
using something like:

  gcc gsl.c -o gsl -lgsl -lgslcblas

which, on my RH 7.3 system, works fine with your example problem:

  [edhill@XXX ~]$ ./gsl
  J0(5) = -1.775967713143382920e-01
  [edhill@XXX ~]$

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed@eh3.com,  ehill@mines.edu

* Re: unable to compile example program;
@ 2002-08-14  9:47 ` Fleur Kelpin
From: Fleur Kelpin @ 2002-08-14  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Y. U. Sasidhar; +Cc: gsl-discuss

> gcc gsl.c -o gsl

You need to link the gsl library using -lgsl
Check the manual for details.

> 2. How do I know which header file to include for a
> given function and dependencies of the given function
> on others.  The manual lists only function description
> with return types etc. It does not mention header
> files necessary and depedencies.

You could use grep to search the gsl header files for the function you
need. I don't know in which dir RH stores those files, my guess is
/usr/include/gsl

$ grep gsl_sf_bessel_J0 /usr/include/gsl/*
gsl_sf_bessel.h:int gsl_sf_bessel_J0_e(const double x,  gsl_sf_result *
result);
gsl_sf_bessel.h:double gsl_sf_bessel_J0(const double x);

If that does not work on your system, search for the header files and use
that dir.

* Re: unable to compile example program;
@ 2002-08-14 13:45 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2002-08-14 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Y. U. Sasidhar; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Y. U. Sasidhar writes:
 > 2. How do I know which header file to include for a
 > given function and dependencies of the given function
 > on others.  The manual lists only function description
 > with return types etc. It does not mention header
 > files necessary and depedencies.

The header files are given at the beginning of the section
where the function is described.

* Re: unable to compile example program;
@ 2002-08-15  6:11   ` Y. U. Sasidhar
From: Y. U. Sasidhar @ 2002-08-15  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Many thanks for the responses.
Once I installed the recent 1.2 version rpm there was
no problem with compiling ( with -lgsl -lgslcblas ).
I was using .7 version earlier.
Sasidhar

 --- Fleur Kelpin <fleur@bio.vu.nl> wrote: > > gcc