* FFTW 3.0 beta available
@ 2003-03-17 10:04 Steven G. Johnson
From: Steven G. Johnson @ 2003-03-17 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: Matteo Frigo

Dear GSL folks,

Since we're both providing GPL'ed numerical libraries, we thought you
might be interested to hear that we've released a beta of FFTW 3.0 on our
web site (www.fftw.org).

Version 3.0 of FFTW was rewritten from scratch to improve the speed,
flexibility, and generality of the library and API.  It also adds a number
of other enhancements from SIMD (SSE2/3DNow!/Altivec) support, to
optimized transforms of real even/odd data (discrete cosine/sine
transforms), to true in-place 1d transforms.  See the release notes
(http://www.fftw.org/release-notes.html) for a more complete list of
changes.

Is there any interest in calling FFTW from GSL?  GSL's FFT performance is
respectable, but our latest benchmarks (not yet posted) show that FFTW 3
is significantly faster on most machines, as well as being more general.

Regardless, we'd be happy to hear any comments you might have.

Happy hacking,
Steven G. Johnson