* Accuracy query
@ 2003-08-11 19:05 a.beskos
From: a.beskos @ 2003-08-11 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Dear Madam, Sir
 my name is Alexandros Beskos, I'm doing a PhD in the department of mathematics and statistics in Lancaster. My query has to do with the accuracy of the values for the cumulative distribution function (cdf) of a standard normal distribution and its inverse.
First of all I haven't managed to find a function fot the reverse cdf.
Then for the cdf, is the gsl_sf_erf_Q precise, and in how many decimal digits ?? For, if for example, it is 15-digit accurate, then the outcome  gsl_sf_erf_Q(20) will not be precise.

Thank you a lot for your time.

* Re: Accuracy query
@ 2003-08-12 10:56 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2003-08-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: a.beskos; +Cc: gsl-discuss

a.beskos@lancaster.ac.uk writes:
 > Dear Madam, Sir
 >  my name is Alexandros Beskos, I'm doing a PhD in the department of mathematics and statistics in Lancaster. My query has to do with the accuracy of the values for the cumulative distribution function (cdf) of a standard normal distribution and its inverse.
 > First of all I haven't managed to find a function fot the reverse cdf.
 > Then for the cdf, is the gsl_sf_erf_Q precise, and in how many decimal digits ?? For, if for example, it is 15-digit accurate, then the outcome  gsl_sf_erf_Q(20) will not be precise.

See the Special functions chapter in the manual for information on how
to get the error estimates from those functions.

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd
15 Royal Park
Bristol BS8 3AL
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)117 3179309
Fax: +44 (0)117 9048108
Web: http://www.network-theory.co.uk/

* RE: Accuracy query
@ 2003-08-12  9:27 keith.briggs
From: keith.briggs @ 2003-08-12  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: a.beskos, gsl-discuss

See: http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/math.CA/0306264
The inverse of the cumulative standard normal probability function

Keith

	Dr. Keith M. Briggs
	Senior Mathematician, Complexity Research, BT Exact
	http://research.btexact.com/teralab/keithbriggs.html
	(or http://members.lycos.co.uk/keithmbriggs/keithbriggs.html)
	phone: +44(0)1473  work: 641 911 home: 610 517  fax: 642 161
	mail: Keith Briggs, Polaris 134, Adastral Park, Martlesham, Suffolk
IP5 3RE, UK