* More linking problems in MS VC++ 6.0
@ 2003-09-03  1:59 John Provis
From: John Provis @ 2003-09-03  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi all

I'm trying to reinstall gsl 1.4 into MS VC++ 6.0 on a new(ish) computer (Win
2000), and can't get it to link even by following all the instructions in
the readme file - it gives me:

--------------------Configuration: Model - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
IX model.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_gsl_multiroot_fsolver_hybrids
Debug/Model.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Model.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I have added all the appropriate directories to the Project Settings window
and enabled the /MD option. The 'Disable Language Extensions' option doesn't
seem to help, and gives me a whole lot of compiler errors from my
overloading of functions. I tried compiling the Demo project, following the
instructions in its Readme file, to see if I could get anything useful out
of this, and it gives me an error box "Unable to Locate DLL - The dynamic
link library gsl.dll could not be found in the specified path..." with a
list of a whole lot of directories it claims not to be able to find the
library in. Copying the gsl.lib file directly into several of these
directories also achieved nothing. However, the Demo project doesn't give me
link error LNK2001 like my own project file does.

Hints anyone?

Thanks for your help (and patience),

John.

John Provis
Geopolymer and Minerals Processing Group
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
University of Melbourne
Ph: 03 8344 8755
Mob: 0402 596 209

* Re: More linking problems in MS VC++ 6.0
@ 2003-09-03 10:18 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2003-09-03 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Provis; +Cc: gsl-discuss

John Provis writes:
 > I have added all the appropriate directories to the Project
 > Settings window and enabled the /MD option. The 'Disable Language
 > Extensions' option doesn't seem to help, and gives me a whole lot
 > of compiler errors from my overloading of functions. I tried
 > compiling the Demo project, following the instructions in its
 > Readme file, to see if I could get anything useful out of this, and
 > it gives me an error box "Unable to Locate DLL - The dynamic link
 > library gsl.dll could not be found in the specified path..." with a
 > list of a whole lot of directories it claims not to be able to find
 > the library in. Copying the gsl.lib file directly into several of
 > these directories also achieved nothing.

To get the demo program working copy the .dll file mentioned in the
error message.

 > However, the Demo project doesn't give me link error LNK2001 like
 > my own project file does.  Hints anyone?

Once you have demo project compiling without errors compare the
project settings with your own to find the differences.

If you have GNU/Linux or Unix systems available I would recommend
using those -- with the default installation of GSL no options are
required when compiling a program on these systems.

regards,

--
Brian Gough