* ANN: PyrexGsl 0.01
@ 2004-04-26 15:27 Mario Pernici
From: Mario Pernici @ 2004-04-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hello.
 PyrexGsl is a Pyrex interface to GSL.
 The tar.gz archive is available at
 http://wwwteor.mi.infn.it/~pernici/pyrexgsl/pyrexgsl.html

Pyrex is a language for writing code that mixes Python and C data types,
and compiles it into a C extension module for Python.

Currently there are bindings for the modules described in the
following chapters of the  GSL manual

* Mathematical Functions
* Complex Numbers
* Polynomials
* Special Functions
* Vectors and Matrices
* Permutations
* Combinations
* BLAS Support
* Linear Algebra
* Eigensystems
* Numerical Integration
* Random Number Generation
* Quasi-Random Sequences
* Random Number Distributions
* Statistics
* Histograms
* N-tuples
* Monte Carlo Integration
* Ordinary Differential Equations
* Interpolation
* Numerical Differentiation
* Chebyshev Approximations
* Series Acceleration
* One dimensional Root-Finding
* One dimensional Minimization
* Least-Squares Fitting

for which examples from the GSL manual are provided.

Best regards
  Mario Pernici

* Re: ANN: PyrexGsl 0.01
@ 2004-04-27 17:53 ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-04-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: pygsl ml

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:27:53 +0200 (CEST) Mario Pernici wrote:

Mario> PyrexGsl is a Pyrex interface to GSL.

How does this compare to pygsl?
,----
| http://pygsl.sourceforge.net/
`----

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: ANN: PyrexGsl 0.01
@ 2004-05-04 14:08 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2004-05-04 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Pernici; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Mario Pernici writes:
 >  PyrexGsl is a Pyrex interface to GSL.  The tar.gz archive is
 >  available at
 >  http://wwwteor.mi.infn.it/~pernici/pyrexgsl/pyrexgsl.html
 >
 > Pyrex is a language for writing code that mixes Python and C data
 > types, and compiles it into a C extension module for Python.

Thanks Mario. That looks interesting.  I've added a link to PyrexGsl
from http://sources.redhat.com/gsl/

--
Brian Gough

* Re: ANN: PyrexGsl 0.01
@ 2004-04-27 23:08 Mario Pernici
From: Mario Pernici @ 2004-04-27 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: pygsl-discuss

>> PyrexGsl is a Pyrex interface to GSL.
> How does this compare to pygsl?

pygsl is Python library, which means that its functions
depend on Python objects, which are transformed
back and forth in the C-types used by GSL.

PyrexGsl is a Pyrex library, with C-type functions,
depending only on the C-types used by GSL.
A piece of Pyrex code with only C-type functions
is transformed by the Pyrex compiler in the
corresponding C code, which is essentially the same.

To export the result to Python, one uses
a Python-type function, which returns a Python object.
The Pyrex compiler creates the appropriate
C-Python interface for the Python-type function.

Each approach has advantages and disadvantages.

Advantaged of pygsl:
-no compilation phase
-automatic memory management
-exceptions
-interface with Numeric provided

Disadvantages of pygsl:
-It is significantly slower than GSL.

Advantage of PyrexGsl:
-It is almost as fast as GSL in long computations
 (lot of GSL function calls, Monte Carlo)

Disadvantages of PyrexGsl:
- it is necessary to compile
- memory management necessary (as in GSL)
- no exceptions.
- no interface with Numeric provided.

Greetings
  Mario