* GSL scientific "C" libraries installation/configuration problem.
@ 2002-04-12  5:01 ` narayan krishnan
From: narayan krishnan @ 2002-04-12  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi there!!!

I have some installation/configuration problems in GSL
scientific "C" libraries.
Let me first tell you that i'm new to UNIX/LINUX
world.
I'll explain to you in detail what i did and where i
face problem.

(1)I'm using Red Hat Linux.
(2)C compilers used are gcc and g++.
(3)i downloaded a tar file gsl-1.1.1.tar.gz from a
mirror site of GSL.
i persume that gsl-1.1.1 is for latest version(v1.1.1)
of libraries, and i think this is the only tar file i
require to install/configure the c libraries.if i'm
wrong please let me know...
(4)i have directories in my system like
	(i)/home/
	(ii)/home1/
	(iii)/usr/include
	(iv)/usr/local/include
and many.
(5)At presnt i'm able to write my simple
"Helloworld.c" programs and compile
using gcc and g++ and run it successfully from any
folder.
(6)I copied The downloaded tar file(gsl-1.1.1.tar.gz)
to my "/home".
(7)Then i extracted the tar file using command
	$tar -zxvf tarfilename
(8)After Extracting, it created a folder called
gsl-1.1.1 under "/home" and
inside that folder all files are extracted.
(9)After that i read their README file.,which asked me
to run four commands
for installation.
(10)The four commands which i run are
	(i)./configure
	(ii)make
	(iii)make check
	(iv)make install

(11)According their instrutions , i opened the
KNOWN-PROBLEMS file.it showed no error messages.So i
thought everything went off well.But it didn't...

(12)Here is my question---
where shud i write and save my C programs.?
what include path i shud write at the top in my c
programs to call gsl libs.?

(13)becoz now my c programs calling the GSL "C"
library functions.
throws errors like function not found,undefined
reference etc...

So can Anyone tell me where i shud start-to make my
programs run.

MILLION THANKS IN ADVANCE...

Regards
Narayan.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

* Re: GSL scientific "C" libraries installation/configuration problem.
@ 2002-04-12  5:20   ` Jacek Pliszka
From: Jacek Pliszka @ 2002-04-12  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: narayan krishnan; +Cc: gsl-discuss

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, narayan krishnan wrote:

> (1)I'm using Red Hat Linux.

Use rpm files then. See section Binary Packages  on the GSL web page.

BR,

Jacek

* Re: GSL scientific "C" libraries installation/configuration problem.
@ 2002-04-12  8:54   ` Matthew J. Doller
From: Matthew J. Doller @ 2002-04-12  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: narayan krishnan; +Cc: gsl-discuss

> (10)The four commands which i run are
> 	(i)./configure

did you pass any arguments to ./configure, such as ./configure
--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

> 	(ii)make
> 	(iii)make check
> 	(iv)make install
>
> (12)Here is my question---
> where shud i write and save my C programs.?
> what include path i shud write at the top in my c
> programs to call gsl libs.?

you can write and save the source files anywhere you like
the .h files are probably somewhere in your gcc search path, so just
putting
#include <gsl/gsl_math.h>
would work

> (13)becoz now my c programs calling the GSL "C"
> library functions.
> throws errors like function not found,undefined
> reference etc...

did you link in the libraries?
gcc -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm foo.c

hope this helps,
matt

* Re: GSL scientific "C" libraries installation/configuration problem.
@ 2002-12-31  9:55 ` Matthew J. Doller
From: Matthew J. Doller @ 2002-12-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: narayan krishnan; +Cc: gsl-discuss

@ 2002-12-31  9:55 ` Jacek Pliszka
From: Jacek Pliszka @ 2002-12-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: narayan krishnan; +Cc: gsl-discuss

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, narayan krishnan wrote:

> (1)I'm using Red Hat Linux.

Use rpm files then. See section Binary Packages  on the GSL web page.

BR,

Jacek

* GSL scientific "C" libraries installation/configuration problem.
@ 2002-12-31  9:55 narayan krishnan
                   ` (2 more replies)