* Re: Wishart Distribution
@ 2002-12-13  7:59 Rodney Sparapani
From: Rodney Sparapani @ 2002-12-13  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Adam:

I do not believe this is currently part of GSL, but it would definitely be
welcome!

Thanks, Rodney

>Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:15:34 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Adam Johansen <amj26@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
>To: gsl-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>cc: "Adam (Engineering) Johansen" <amj26@eng.cam.ac.uk>
>Subject: Wishart Distribution
>
>Hello,
>
>Unless I've been looking in the wrong place, the Wishart distribution
>doesn't appear to be included in the gsl random number distributions. As
>I'm probably going to have to implement one anyway, I was wondering
>whether there would be any interest in including it within the gsl (I'd
>like to know before I start as it will obviously effect my coding style
>and choice of variable names, etc.). It seems likely that it will be
>useful to at least some users as the conjugate distribution to the
>precision matrix of a multivariate normal distribution.
>
>Apologies if I've missed something which is already present, or it's been
>decided not to include this distribution.
>
>Thanks,
>Adam

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa@mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do

* Re: Wishart Distribution
@ 2002-12-15 12:24   ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2002-12-15 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Johansen; +Cc: gsl-discuss, Adam (Engineering) Johansen

Adam Johansen writes:
 > Hello,
 >  Unless I've been looking in the wrong place, the Wishart
 > distribution doesn't appear to be included in the gsl random number
 > distributions. As I'm probably going to have to implement one
 > anyway, I was wondering whether there would be any interest in
 > including it within the gsl (I'd like to know before I start as it
 > will obviously effect my coding style and choice of variable names,
 > etc.). It seems likely that it will be useful to at least some
 > users as the conjugate distribution to the precision matrix of a
 > multivariate normal distribution.

There is a GSL Design document at http://sources.redhat.com/gsl/

The main issue with multivariate distributions is to factor out any
memory allocation/matrix decomposition since this only needs to be
done once, not for each sample.

Brian

* Wishart Distribution
@ 2002-12-12  7:27 ` Adam Johansen