* GPL once more
@ 2003-04-08 13:27 Bolek Vrany
From: Bolek Vrany @ 2003-04-08 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GSL

An excerpt from the GPL - point 3:

"The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable.  However, as a
special exception, the source code distributed need not include
anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
itself accompanies the executable."

Well, suppose I wrote my program using Borland C++ Builder and the
Visual Components Library (VCL). I want to release it under GPL.
However, I think the excerpt requires me to release the VCL sources,
too. Of course I cannot do it because of the license agreement with
Borland. Is this true? And if it is, is there any other license that
would allow me to release my program as free without releasing VCL
source code and writing the license myself? I asked FSF about two months
ago, but they have not answered yet. Thanks.

(Please do not post replies like "use a free compiler instead". If you
want to post such replies, please tell me what free compiler has such
great Win32 GUI development capabilities as BCB does.)

Bolek Vrany

Checked by RAV antivirus for postfix on mail.ure.cas.cz

* Re: GPL once more
@ 2003-04-08 13:35 ` Philip Kendall
From: Philip Kendall @ 2003-04-08 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GSL

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 12:02:43PM +0200, Bolek Vrany wrote:

> Well, suppose I wrote my program using Borland C++ Builder and the
> Visual Components Library (VCL). I want to release it under GPL.
> However, I think the excerpt requires me to release the VCL sources,
> too. Of course I cannot do it because of the license agreement with
> Borland. Is this true? And if it is, is there any other license that
> would allow me to release my program as free without releasing VCL
> source code and writing the license myself? I asked FSF about two months
> ago, but they have not answered yet. Thanks.

This point is covered by the GPL FAQ:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WritingFSWithNFLibs

Phil

[ Moderators, feel free to bounce this if you think it's off-topic ]

--
"The fact is, there is talk in the Council that you have become a bit
too... American."