* Did *anyone* actually build GSL under Visual Studio?
@ 2003-12-11 11:13 Mark Dunner
From: Mark Dunner @ 2003-12-11 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: help-gsl

Dear all,

Did anyone actually manage to build the GSL 1.4 under Visual Studio at
all? And possibly managed to build a test program against it?

After a lot of problems, I am stuck here

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gsl/2003-12/msg00011.html

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mark

http://photos.yahoo.com/

* Re: Did *anyone* actually build GSL under Visual Studio?
@ 2003-12-29 23:17 Przemyslaw Sliwa
From: Przemyslaw Sliwa @ 2003-12-29 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi guys,

For me it was not a problem to build the libraries using Visual Studio
6.0. I did it for both static libraries, gl-1.4. I had some problems with
the DLLs, but I do not use them. It might be because I am not very
familiar with the Windows programming and when I asked Brian for
assistance he offered me support for just ... ? 1500 a year. But perhaps
you can explain me in details what are the DLLs and I will do this. I have
compiled both versions debug and release for both libraries. All the test
passed perfectly. Just problems with these DLLs.

Regarding Borland. I have the Borland Ent. Suite 6.0 trail version from
Borlands homepage. I have used the Visual projects to Borland translator
and ... everything worked perfect. Just some (quite many) compilation
warnings. But the tests work fine in general.

So guy explain how to use the DLLs and I will give you some advices.

Cheers,

Przem

PS. I was not able to compile the help file, but I guess it was not
essential for you. Regards, Przem

* Re: Did *anyone* actually build GSL under Visual Studio?
@ 2003-12-29 20:07 ` S.Calderón
From: S.Calderón @ 2003-12-29 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Przemyslaw Sliwa, gsl-discuss

Hello,
I was trying to build the libraries with C++ Borland Builder
without succes. Nevertheless when the *.h files and the dll
for Visual C++ was accessible to everybody was not difficult to work with.

Please, could you help me also?
Regards.
S.Calderon

From: Przemyslaw Sliwa @ 2003-12-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

       [not found] <1071487891.11766.ezmlm@sources.redhat.com>
@ 2003-12-15 18:46 ` James E. Scott
From: James E. Scott @ 2003-12-15 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

yes, it _is_ possible-- we're doing so on a regular basis with Visual
Studio 6 and a recent cygwin.

It looks like you're having problems with underscores on your symbols
(there should be no leading underscore on the names in the .def files).
We found we had to modify msvc/Makefile as follows:

update:
        nm --demangle usr/lib/libgsl.a > libgsl.nm.dat
        wc -l libgsl.nm.dat
        nm --demangle usr/lib/libgslcblas.a > libgslcblas.nm.dat
        wc -l libgslcblas.nm.dat

The --demangle option to nm removes underscores if gcc is generating them.

btw I have a wish regarding this. It would be nice if the code used a
definition like:

#ifdef _WIN32
#define gslextern __declspec(dllexport) extern
#else
#define gslextern extern
#endif

for all exported functions. Then VS6 users wouldn't have to build the
whole thing with gcc just to get symbol info. We just need a way of
changing the 3000-odd function definitions :-)

James