From: "Sisyphus" <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au>
To: "Brian Gough" <bjg@network-theory.co.uk>
Cc: <gsl-discuss@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Some long double problems on Win32
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:41:00 -0000	[thread overview]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Gough" <bjg@network-theory.co.uk>
To: "Sisyphus" <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au>
Cc: <gsl-discuss@sourceware.org>
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 8:32 PM

> At Sun, 3 Aug 2008 19:45:33 +1000,
> Sisyphus wrote:
>> But the library seems to be mssing the following symbols (which are to be
>> found in gsl_block_complex_long_double.h and gsl_block_long_double.h):
>>
>> `gsl_block_complex_long_double_fscanf'
>> `gsl_block_complex_long_double_fprintf'
>> `gsl_block_complex_long_double_raw_fscanf'
>> `gsl_block_complex_long_double_raw_fprintf'
>> `gsl_block_long_double_fscanf'
>> `gsl_block_long_double_fprintf'
>> `gsl_block_long_double_raw_fscanf'
>>
>> Anyone know why that might be ?
>
> The configure test for fprintf/fscanf with long-double failed so those
> functions are not compiled.

Yes - it finally dawned on me. Just last night I got around to rewriting the
test so that it would pass and, sure enough, the library that got built
included those symbols. The tests failed, of course :-)

What is now puzzling me, however, is whether it's impossible to incorporate
those symbols into a Win32 gsl library. MinGW certainly knows about the 12
byte 'long double', but afaik the Microsoft C runtime (which MinGW-built
apps use) has no  formatter to printf() it.

That doesn't quite make sense to me. Why would MinGW provide a 12 byte long
double if there's no way of printf()'ing it out ? (I suppose this aspect
would be better raised on the MinGW list.)

Thanks for the reply, Brian.

Cheers,
Rob