* Function interface for Least-Squares Fitting
@ 2004-10-20 22:07 Jari Häkkinen
From: Jari Häkkinen @ 2004-10-20 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi,

I noticed that the function interface for the fitting algorithms do not
support gsl_vectors. What is the reason for this? Would it be possible
to add inline functions such as

inline int
gsl_fit_linear_vector (const vector * x, const vector * y
                        double * c0, double * c1,
                        double * cov00, double * cov01, double * cov11,
                        double * sumsq)
{
   return gsl_fit_linear(x->data, x->stride, y->data, y->stride, x->size,
                         c0,c1,cov00,c0v01,cov11,sumsq);
}

to GSL?

Jari

* Re: Function interface for Least-Squares Fitting
@ 2004-10-21 15:00 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2004-10-21 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jari Häkkinen; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Jari Häkkinen writes:
 > I noticed that the function interface for the fitting algorithms do not
 > support gsl_vectors. What is the reason for this?

Basically to avoid duplication, when possible.

The recommended way to call these functions is with v->data,
v->stride, v->size as in your example.

You can put an inline function definition in your application's own
header files if you like.

--
Brian Gough

* Re: Function interface for Least-Squares Fitting
@ 2004-10-23  7:57   ` Jari Häkkinen
From: Jari Häkkinen @ 2004-10-23  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Brian Gough wrote:

> Jari Häkkinen writes:
>  > I noticed that the function interface for the fitting algorithms do not
>  > support gsl_vectors. What is the reason for this?
>
> Basically to avoid duplication, when possible.
>
> The recommended way to call these functions is with v->data,
> v->stride, v->size as in your example.
>
> You can put an inline function definition in your application's own
> header files if you like.

Yes, of course, I am doing it my copy of the gsl CVS (in cvs_fit.h) but
would like to see it the official release. Why was it decided against
having gsl_vectors in the interface. (I am maintaing a C++ interface to
GSL, and in this interface there is no access to internals of gsl_vector.)

@ 2004-10-25 13:00     ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2004-10-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jari Häkkinen; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Jari Häkkinen writes:
 > Yes, of course, I am doing it my copy of the gsl CVS (in cvs_fit.h) but
 > would like to see it the official release. Why was it decided against
 > having gsl_vectors in the interface.

This is to avoid having additional dependencies or two versions of
every function---where possible, the plain C interface is preferred.
See the GSL Design document for more explanation.

--
best regards

Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,