From: John Lamb <J.D.Lamb@btinternet.com>
To: gsl-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Question
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Przemyslaw Sliwa wrote:
> All,
>
> I was just wondering what means
>
> double gsl_cdf_ugaussian_Pinv (const double P)
>
> Correct me if I am wrong but it seems the const word is not required
> in this case and we cannot change the value of P.

I think you are right, const is not required and you don't need to worry
about it when calling the function. This is certainly true in C++.

Nonetheless, it is often a good idea to declare an automatic function
parameter const in the function definition. This forces the compiler to
check that you don't change the parameter value in the body of the
function. Similarly, it is a good idea to declare any variable const if
you don't intend to change it.

You can declare the function as

double gsl_cdf_ugaussian_Pinv (double);

and define it as

double gsl_cdf_ugaussian_Pinv (const double P){

but it may be better to make the two match precisely either because you
may want to use some editing tools that rely on a match or because you
want the code to work on a compiler that can't work oout that the
declaration and definition do match.

--
JDL