* make doc, problem with derivative/prime/apostrophe
@ 2010-10-10 11:45 Tuomo Keskitalo
From: Tuomo Keskitalo @ 2010-10-10 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've recently moved to Ubuntu 10.04. Now "make doc" and "make ps" seems
to hang, and it seems that the problem is with derivatives marked with
apostrophe, e.g. "x'". If I change that to "x\prime" then make doc seems
to make progress. Must we change all derivative apostrophes to \prime in
*.texi, or what is correct?

--
Tuomo.Keskitalo@iki.fi
http://iki.fi/tuomo.keskitalo

* Re: make doc, problem with derivative/prime/apostrophe
@ 2010-10-12 15:11 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2010-10-12 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:45:00 +0300,
Tuomo Keskitalo wrote:
> I've recently moved to Ubuntu 10.04. Now "make doc" and "make ps" seems
> to hang, and it seems that the problem is with derivatives marked with
> apostrophe, e.g. "x'". If I change that to "x\prime" then make doc seems
> to make progress. Must we change all derivative apostrophes to \prime in
> *.texi, or what is correct?

It was a bug in Texinfo, I reported it a while back and it is fixed in
more recent versions of Texinfo.

--
Brian Gough

* Re: make doc, problem with derivative/prime/apostrophe
@ 2011-04-25 11:42     ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2011-04-25 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:58:38 +0300,
Tuomo Keskitalo wrote:
> I still have this problem in Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10, even after
> upgrading info, install-info and texinfo .debs to version
> 4.13a.dfsg.1-6. Are you sure the problem is texinfo and not e.g.
> texlive? In my case etex process hangs in a loop using lot of CPU
> cycles..  I'm not sure where to file this bug.

The problem was definitely in Texinfo and it was fixed in CVS in Feb
2010 after I reported it.  There have only been snapshot releases of
the texinfo.tex file since then and a not full Texinfo release so the
distributions have not picked it up.

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/texinfo/texinfo/doc/texinfo.tex?r1=1.306&r2=1.307

--
Brian Gough

* Re: make doc, problem with derivative/prime/apostrophe
@ 2011-04-25 21:06         ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2011-04-25 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:43:11 +0300,
Tuomo Keskitalo wrote:
> Ok, thanks for confirmation! I finally got it to work (I'm not too
> familiar with texinfo..)
>
> For others who might have this problem: The file doc/texinfo.tex seems
> to be overwritten by the system's version of texinfo.tex when you run
> autoreconf. I simply replaced the original doc/texinfo.tex file from
> GSL source before making the documentation via e.g. "make ps". At
> least that worked for me.

Yes, the one that is checked in is a more recent copy but it gets
overwritten if you run autoreconf.  I've asked on the texinfo mailing
list if there can be a new relese of texinfo to get the fixed version
out into the distributions.

* Re: make doc, problem with derivative/prime/apostrophe
@ 2011-04-26 11:01   ` Tuomo Keskitalo
From: Tuomo Keskitalo @ 2011-04-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Tuomo Keskitalo @ 2011-04-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

--