I have been evaluating Laguerre polynomials for large n and alpha = 0 for largish n on several platforms including i686-cygwin, x86_64-linux, powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0 an it seems that I get bad results on all of them. I am comparing with Mathematica. (I know, non-free and otherwise annoying.) They use high-precision arithmetic and I tend to trust their results. I believe the error comes from switching to a hypergeometric expression rather than sticking with recursion at alpha=0. I have found that staying with recursion works just fine at alpha = 0 for n = 50 or 100. The special function testsuite is clean on all platforms when I make the one-character change. Change line 288 of laguerre.c from: else if(a > 0.0 || (x > 0.0 && a < -n-1)) { to: else if(a >= 0.0 || (x > 0.0 && a < -n-1)) { Ed Smith-Rowland