* GSL and ALGLIB
@ 2010-04-13 14:17 Sergey Bochkanov
From: Sergey Bochkanov @ 2010-04-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hello!

What  do  GSL  developers think about using source code from ALGLIB in
GSL?

ALGLIB  is an open source numerical analysis library distributed under
GPL   2+.  It  uses  automatic  translation  from  specially  designed
pseudocode  to  provide  same functionality in C++, C#, FreePascal and
other  programming  languages.  Project  aims  to  be highly portable,
compiler-  and  OS-independent. It is actively developed (new releases
each month).

ALGLIB contains many interesting algorithms which are missing in GSL.

For example, it includes:
* limited memory BFGS optimizer
* improved Levenberg-Marquardt optimizer
* bound constrained optimizer
* 2-dimensional   interpolation  (bilinear/bicubic  splines)
* scattered N-dimensional interpolation/fitting with linearithmic
  complexity.

It  should  be easy to write GSL-ish wrapper for ALGLIB. I can help if
someone  wants to implement it. However it is unclear what is GSL devs
position  on  using  external libraries. I've read past discussions on
FLAME and FFTW, but there was no decision.

--
With best regards,
 Sergey                          mailto:sergey.bochkanov@alglib.net

* Re: GSL and ALGLIB
@ 2010-04-14 15:11   ` Sergey Bochkanov
From: Sergey Bochkanov @ 2010-04-14 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hello, Brian.

You wrote 14 апреля 2010 г., 12:58:38:

> The GPL defines source code as "the
> preferred form of the work for making modifications to it" -- which in
> this case is the underlying algorithm definitions for the converter,
> not the individual routines.  We could only consider using other code
> if all the associated software (and documentation) is free.

Yes,  translator is still non-free. I think that some day I'll make it
free,  but  it  isn't  top  priority  for  me. Just can't come to some
decision  on  this  subject,  so I am leaving this question open for a
while.  And,  actually,  ALGLIB users rarely need something beyond the
version in the language they use.

> Whether it makes sense techically to use ALGLIB in GSL, it is
> difficult for me to comment without the converter being free software
> and available to study.

95%  of  C++  sources  are  as  human-readable as original pseudocode.
Remaining  5%  are places where C++ is used to emulate continuations -
feature  lacking in many modern programming languages. However, it can
be  made  human-readable too (just one day or two to tweak translator)
if someone needs it. It wasn't deliberately obfuscated :)

Technically,  ALGLIB  can  be  linked to GSL and can be used under GPL
even without translator.

--

@ 2010-04-14  8:59 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2010-04-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Bochkanov; +Cc: gsl-discuss

At Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:20:51 +0400,
Sergey Bochkanov wrote:
> What  do  GSL  developers think about using source code from ALGLIB in
> GSL?
>
> ALGLIB  is an open source numerical analysis library distributed under
> GPL   2+.  It  uses  automatic  translation  from  specially  designed
> pseudocode  to  provide  same functionality in C++, C#, FreePascal and
> other  programming  languages.  Project  aims  to  be highly portable,
> compiler-  and  OS-independent. It is actively developed (new releases
> each month).
>
> ALGLIB contains many interesting algorithms which are missing in GSL.
>
> For example, it includes:
> * limited memory BFGS optimizer
> * improved Levenberg-Marquardt optimizer
> * bound constrained optimizer
> * 2-dimensional   interpolation  (bilinear/bicubic  splines)
> * scattered N-dimensional interpolation/fitting with linearithmic
>   complexity.
>
> It  should  be easy to write GSL-ish wrapper for ALGLIB. I can help if
> someone  wants to implement it. However it is unclear what is GSL devs
> position  on  using  external libraries. I've read past discussions on
> FLAME and FFTW, but there was no decision.

Hello Sergey

Thanks for your email.  There are two concerns here, licensing and
technical.

Regarding licensing, I think we corresponded about ALGLIB a couple of
years ago and I asked if the underlying converter was free software
(which it was not at that time).  The GPL defines source code as "the
preferred form of the work for making modifications to it" -- which in
this case is the underlying algorithm definitions for the converter,
not the individual routines.  We could only consider using other code
if all the associated software (and documentation) is free.

Whether it makes sense techically to use ALGLIB in GSL, it is
difficult for me to comment without the converter being free software
and available to study.

I do think the principle of converting to different languages from a
common source is a good one and would encourage you to consider
releasing everything under a free software license, whether or not we
might use parts of it.

--
best regards

Brian Gough