* Re: [smartquant] Re: GPL license violation? [GNU Scientific Library]
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 Edwin Robert Tisdale
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Brian Gough wrote:

> Edwin Robert Tisdale writes:
>
> > Anton may distribute his software without the GSL
> > so that customers would be obliged to obtain the GSL
> > (or another library using the same API) separately
> > and link them together themselves.
>
> I don't think any lawyer
> is going to recommend that as a business model..

Lawyers don't recommend any business model.
They advise their clients on the law.

> Attempting to circumvent a license is illegal too.

I think that you are reading too much into the GPL.

Anton Fokin doesn't need to comply with the GPL
if he doesn't distribute the GSL with his program.
His customers can obtain the GSL from another source
and link it into his code themselves as long as
they don't distribute the GSL with Anton's program.
There is nothing in the GPL or copyright law
that would prevent them from doing so.
It was never the intent of the GPL
to prevent them from doing so.
Your lawyers would advise you that
you would be foolish to sue anybody that did so.
Threatening to do so will not win any friends for the GSL.

I have advised and still advise people to avoid the GSL.
Using the GSL under the GPL simply invites
the copyright holder, the author or any of their customers
to sue them even if they comply with the terms of the GPL.

Please, Brian, if you want people to use the GSL,
try to be a little more helpful and a little less confrontational.

From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Brian Gough wrote:

> Since your project is not free software,
> I can't offer any specific advice apart from that.
> The safest option is not to use GSL in non-free projects.

I believe that this is the correct interpretation of the GPL.
Anton Fokin must release his software under the GPL
(or a similar free software license)
or stop distributing the GSL with his software.

From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Ferdinando Ametrano wrote:

> Once you reimplement GSL, you can say that
> the software does not depend on GSL for its functioning.
> But until you do, if you distribute software and say
> "this will only work with GSL
>  because no other implementation of that API exists"
> then you have a derivative work.
> quoted from the list archives -- original message by Mark Galassi

Mark Galassi is hardly an authority and he is certainly not impartial.

> Don't you think that
> the message "Can Technical Tricks Circumvent the GPL?"
> by RMS is clear enough?
> If your software *depends* on GPL software, it must be GPL.
> Technical tricks to circumvent this dependency are just that:
> technical tricks.

Nonsense!  Please cite and quote the passage
that supports your assertion that
Anton Fokin cannot distribute his software
without distributing the GSL without it.

Java programmers distribute byte code all the time
which may depend upon a GPL'd Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
which they do not distribute with their code.
You can't force them to release their Java source code
under the terms of the GPL just because it runs in a GPL'd JVM.

[parent not found: <200111132351.PAA25299@eskimo.com>]
* Re: GPL license violation? [GNU Scientific Library]
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 Kenneth Geisshirt
From: Kenneth Geisshirt @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Fokin; +Cc: Ferdinando Ametrano, smartquant, Brian Gough, gsl-discuss

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Anton Fokin wrote:

> There are three ways to solve this "problem"

Actually, there is a fourth solution: put __your__ code under GPL!

Kneth

--
Kenneth Geisshirt, M.Sc., Ph.D.         http://kenneth.geisshirt.dk
GPG Fingerprint: 7424 AF49 AB47 03D4 D7C5  A07C 4D92 37E7 2F92 0B79

From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Ferdinando Ametrano wrote:

> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>
> > Anton Fokin doesn't need to comply with the GPL
> > if he doesn't distribute the GSL with his program.
>
> This is simply not true. Please do not state your opinion as truth.
> Anton Fokin does need to comply with the GPL
> if his software R-Quant needs GSL to work.

It doesn't need the GSL to work.
Anybody can write a library using the same API as GSL
and distribute it under any license that they want.

> That is, if R-Quant includes GSL wrappers, R-Quant must be GPL.

No!  You can't copyright an API.
The Free Software Foundation (FSF) exists
only because it is possible to clone proprietary APIs
without violating copyright restrictions.

> This is not just my opinion: it has always been made clear by FSF.

Show us where you think your assertion
has been made clear by the FSF.