* Robust linear least squares
@ 2013-05-10 22:01 Patrick Alken
From: Patrick Alken @ 2013-05-10 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi all,

   I just committed a significant chunk of code related to robust linear
regression into GSL and mainly wanted to update the other developers and
any other interested parties. The main idea here is that ordinary least
squares is very sensitive to data outliers, and the robust algorithm
tries to identify and downweight outlier points so they don't
drastically affect the model. I think this is something that has been
needed in gsl for a while.

   I've been developing the code for a while and have been using it
successfully in my own work, and also validated it pretty extensively
against the matlab implementation. I still need to make some automated
tests for it which I should get to next week.

   In the meantime, the code is very usable and working so feel free to
try it out.

Patrick

* Re: Robust linear least squares
@ 2013-05-24 19:23 Timothée Flutre
From: Timothée Flutre @ 2013-05-24 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Alken; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Hello Patrick,

about the next release, a while ago I proposed some code (+tests) to
compute the Spearman rank correlation coefficient. I uploaded my code
on savannah (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36199) and it is also
available on github (https://github.com/timflutre/spearman). At least
one person asked on the mailing list if this coef was implemented
(http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?37728) so I think it would be useful to
add it.
I tried to follow the GSL guidelines as close as possible so that it
should be possible to integrate the code easily into the next release.
I would be glad to help in this matter if necessary.

Best,
Tim