* Next Version?
@ 2014-06-19 17:59 Jean-François Caron
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jean-François Caron @ 2014-06-19 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has an update on when we might see the next version of GSL?  Is it something like “in the next month”, “by the end of summer”, or “next year”?

I don’t need any details, I’m just being impatient because my contribution is supposed to appear in the next version, and I wish to make a patch for CERN’s ROOT that will use the new feature.  So just a short answer will be enough to satisfy me.  = )

Jean-François

* Re: Next Version?
@ 2014-06-19 18:01 ` Rhys Ulerich
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rhys Ulerich @ 2014-06-19 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-François Caron; +Cc: gsl-discuss

> Hello, I am wondering if anyone has an update on when we might see the next version of GSL?  Is it something like “in the next month”, “by the end of summer”, or “next year”?

I hope by end of year.  I anticipate having time towards that end and
making it happen starting in mid-September.

- Rhys

* Re: Next Version?
@ 2014-06-19 20:08 ` Patrick Alken
From: Patrick Alken @ 2014-06-19 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

On 06/19/2014 07:58 PM, Jean-François Caron wrote:
> Hello, I am wondering if anyone has an update on when we might see the next version of GSL?  Is it something like “in the next month”, “by the end of summer”, or “next year”?
>
> I donÂ’t need any details, IÂ’m just being impatient because my contribution is supposed to appear in the next version, and I wish to make a patch for CERNÂ’s ROOT that will use the new feature.  So just a short answer will be enough to satisfy me.  = )
>
> Jean-François

I've been completely swamped lately. The lapack/flame issue is still
unresolved - I don't mind pushing this off to 3.0 in order to get 2.0
out more quickly. Gerard is working on a new memory management scheme
which may take a while to complete - perhaps he would agree to wait
until 3.0 to include that?

I think those are the two main issues to resolve. If we can agree to
postpone these features until 3.0, then 2.0 could be released fairly
quickly...maybe within a month or two, though Rhys may have some other
things in mind to work on.

Patrick

* Re: Next Version?
@ 2014-06-19 20:09 ` Patrick Alken
From: Patrick Alken @ 2014-06-19 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

On 06/19/2014 07:58 PM, Jean-François Caron wrote:
> Hello, I am wondering if anyone has an update on when we might see the next version of GSL?  Is it something like “in the next month”, “by the end of summer”, or “next year”?
>
> I donÂ’t need any details, IÂ’m just being impatient because my contribution is supposed to appear in the next version, and I wish to make a patch for CERNÂ’s ROOT that will use the new feature.  So just a short answer will be enough to satisfy me.  = )
>
> Jean-François

By the way, why can't you just use the git version in your work? Do you
really need an official release?

Patrick

* Re: Next Version?
@ 2014-06-19 20:13   ` Jean-François Caron
From: Jean-François Caron @ 2014-06-19 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Alken; +Cc: gsl-discuss

On Jun 19, 2014, at 13:09 , Patrick Alken <patrick.alken@Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> On 06/19/2014 07:58 PM, Jean-François Caron wrote:
>> Hello, I am wondering if anyone has an update on when we might see the next version of GSL?  Is it something like “in the next month”, “by the end of summer”, or “next year”?
>>
>> I don’t need any details, I’m just being impatient because my contribution is supposed to appear in the next version, and I wish to make a patch for CERN’s ROOT that will use the new feature.  So just a short answer will be enough to satisfy me.  = )
>>
>> Jean-François
>>

> By the way, why can't you just use the git version in your work? Do you
> really need an official release?
>
> Patrick

Oh there is no problem for me using the git version, along with a ROOT checkout that I also modified to use the Steffen interpolation.  I have a feeling that most users however will not be compiling their own versions of GSL or even ROOT, so putting everything into the official versions has been on my mind.  It’s just an extra thing on my mental todo list that I’ve been wondering about.

Jean-François

* Re: Next Version?
@ 2014-06-20  0:06   ` Gerard Jungman
From: Gerard Jungman @ 2014-06-20  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

On 06/19/2014 02:08 PM, Patrick Alken wrote:

> Gerard is working on a new memory management scheme which may take a
> while

I liked Rhys' "end-of-the-year, starting in September" estimate.

> perhaps he would agree to wait until 3.0 to include that? I think
> those are the two main issues to resolve. If we can agree to postpone
> these features until 3.0

I think that would be a mistake. The containers are really messed up.
They should be fixed for 2.0. And the linear algebra stuff seems
really important as well.

It's taken 16 years to get to 2.0. I worry that 3.0 will have to
be delivered by seance...

* Re: Next Version?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-06-26 20:11 ` Patrick Alken
From: Patrick Alken @ 2014-06-26 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-François Caron, gsl-discuss

On 06/19/2014 11:58 AM, Jean-François Caron wrote:
> Hello, I am wondering if anyone has an update on when we might see the next version of GSL?  Is it something like “in the next month”, “by the end of summer”, or “next year”?
>
> I donÂ’t need any details, IÂ’m just being impatient because my contribution is supposed to appear in the next version, and I wish to make a patch for CERNÂ’s ROOT that will use the new feature.  So just a short answer will be enough to satisfy me.  = )
>
> Jean-François
Hello,

   It looks like v2.0 could take a significant amount of time, as there
are several large undertakings, as you saw from the various emails. One
option to help your users would be to port the steffen code into the 1.x
branch (called maint-1 on the git). Then I could quickly make a release
(ie: v1.17). Is this something that would help? I could theoretically do
this in a few hours once I find some time.

Patrick