* Used git-bzr-ng to import bzr trunk into git master on Savannah
@ 2013-10-28 22:03 Rhys Ulerich
From: Rhys Ulerich @ 2013-10-28 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi all,

Per the git-migration discussion we've been having intermittently...

After Patrick got the Savannah admins to bring up git for the GSL
project, I used git-bzr-ng [1] to import bzr trunk [2] into git master
[3].  If you browse our source tree for git [4], you'll see an
'oldmaster' branch and a 'master' branch in the upper right hand side
of the screen.  'master' is the default, it seems.  You can convince
yourself that oldmaster is indeed old [5] and master is indeed new
[6].

If someone will second the idea after having reviewed these things, I
will delete the 'oldmaster' branch.

Two things likely remain for the migration to be complete:
  1) A polite discussion on how we want to name branches.  Is 'master'
always the latest stable release with 'develop' being the work in
progress?  Should be adopt something like git-flow [7]?  What do we do
for having a 1.x support 'master' alongside a 2.x 'master'?
  2) Asking the Savannah admins to turn off bzr.

- Rhys

[1] https://github.com/termie/git-bzr-ng
[2] bzr+ssh://rhysu@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/gsl/trunk/
[3] rhysu@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/gsl.git