* typo in online GSL documentation for SVD
@ 2012-01-20 20:07 William Wu
From: William Wu @ 2012-01-20 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hello GSL developers,

I may have noticed a small typo in the online documentation for the
Singular Value Decomposition, which can be found at

      http://www.math.utah.edu/software/gsl/gsl-ref_206.html

The first sentence reads:

"A general rectangular @math{M}-by-@math{N} matrix @math{A} has a
singular value decomposition (SVD) into the product of an
@math{M}-by-@math{N} orthogonal matrix @math{U}, an
@math{N}-by-@math{N} diagonal matrix of singular values @math{S} and
the transpose of an @math{M}-by-@math{M} orthogonal square matrix
@math{V}"

However, I think the matrix V should be N-by-N in order for the matrix
multiplication A = U S V^T to make sense. So the corrected sentence
would be:

"A general rectangular @math{M}-by-@math{N} matrix @math{A} has a
singular value decomposition (SVD) into the product of an
@math{M}-by-@math{N} orthogonal matrix @math{U}, an
@math{N}-by-@math{N} diagonal matrix of singular values @math{S} and
the transpose of an @math{N}-by-@math{N} orthogonal square matrix
@math{V}"

Thank you for the GSL.

Regards,
--
William Wu

* Re: typo in online GSL documentation for SVD
@ 2012-02-03 15:16 ` Rhys Ulerich
From: Rhys Ulerich @ 2012-02-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Wu; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Hi William

> I may have noticed a small typo in the online documentation for the
> Singular Value Decomposition, which can be found at
>
>      http://www.math.utah.edu/software/gsl/gsl-ref_206.html

Thank you for the bug report.  It appears this has already been fixed
in the more recent versions of the documentation.  Compare the link
you provided with the latest at

http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Singular-Value-Decomposition.html

Cheers,
Rhys