From: Szymon Jaroszewicz <sj@cs.umb.edu>
To: gsl-discuss@sourceware.org
Subject: Monte Carlo API problem
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 10:54:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

I was wrapping monte carlo routines in Python in ctypesGSL and
hit an API problem esp. in Vegas.

The gsl_monte_vegas_state structure has several public fields
which can be changed to modify the algorithm.  However to make
these fields available in Python through ctypes I would need to
wrap several private members of the structure - quite unelegant.

The situation is somewhat better in Miser where all public fields
are at the beginning of the structure and private fields can
simply be skipped.

Should the API be updated to allow setting at least some of the
parameters without messing with state fields directly?  At the
minimum I think there should be a way to get the chisq field for
Vegas which is used to test convergence.

-- Szymon