* Mathieu functions
@ 2002-08-11  9:19 Lowell Johnson
From: Lowell Johnson @ 2002-08-11  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

I noticed that Mathieu functions are on the task list.  Whoa!  I thought I
was the only one who cared about those creatures!  Does anyone actually
use these, or is this just part of the process of computing everything
listed in Abramowitz & Stegun? ;)

Well, I developed Fortran versions of the angular and radial Mathieu
functions (complex arguments) as part of my thesis back around '90.  So I
suppose I can dust off the old code, convert it to C, and align it with
the GSL coding standards.  I'm not sure how quickly I'll get this all
done, so if someone wants to take my (practically uncommented) Fortran
and do the conversion, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll pick away at it as
time allows.

The complex radial Mathieu functions are functions of the complex Bessel
and Hankel functions.  Does the GSL compute complex Bessel functions?  If
not, then I'll just get the real-argument versions working.

So, let me know if anyone has a head-start on the Mathieu functions.  As I
said, I am willing to just hand over the Fortran (which is by no means
pretty).  Otherwise, I'll get to work on them.

    Lowell
--
---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0------
Lowell D. Johnson

Linux:  Bringing stability, security, and freedom to home and business
        computing since 1991.  www.linux.org

* Re: Mathieu functions
@ 2002-08-11 15:31 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2002-08-11 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lowell Johnson; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Lowell Johnson writes:
 > Well, I developed Fortran versions of the angular and radial
 > Mathieu functions (complex arguments) as part of my thesis back
 > around '90.  So I suppose I can dust off the old code, convert it
 > to C, and align it with the GSL coding standards.

This sounds ideal.  Nobody else is working on them to my knowledge.
You might want to do some searching and see if there have been any new
developments in the field since 1990.

 > I'm not sure how quickly I'll get this all done, so if someone
 > wants to take my (practically uncommented) Fortran and do the
 > conversion, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll pick away at it as time
 > allows.
 >  The complex radial Mathieu functions are functions of the complex
 > Bessel and Hankel functions.  Does the GSL compute complex Bessel
 > functions?

No. I should have added them to the task list.

Brian

* Re: Mathieu functions
@ 2002-08-11 16:03   ` Lowell Johnson
From: Lowell Johnson @ 2002-08-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Brian Gough wrote:

> Lowell Johnson writes:
>  > Well, I developed Fortran versions of the angular and radial
>  > Mathieu functions (complex arguments) as part of my thesis back
>  > around '90.  So I suppose I can dust off the old code, convert it
>  > to C, and align it with the GSL coding standards.
>
> This sounds ideal.  Nobody else is working on them to my knowledge.
> You might want to do some searching and see if there have been any new
> developments in the field since 1990.
[snip]

Will do.

  Lowell