public inbox for guile-emacs@sourceware.org
* some ideas (mostly about names)
@ 2000-03-14 12:46 Kalle Olavi Niemitalo
From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo @ 2000-03-14 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keisuke Nishida; +Cc: guile-emacs

Please add guile or guile-emacs in `features' and make M-x
emacs-version show that.

In the README, you suggest copying the Scheme files to
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-scheme/emacs.  You have made them a
standard part of guile-emacs, so wouldn't it make sense to omit
the "site-"?  You could even place them in the Emacs source tree,
so that the new Emacs can use them before it is installed.  The
makefiles should then be amended to install the scheme/ tree
just like lisp/, and the startup code should add it in Guile's
%load-path.

Are you going to append exclamation points to names of Emacs
builtins which alter things, like "define-key"?

* Re: some ideas (mostly about names)
@ 2000-03-14 13:14 ` Keisuke Nishida
From: Keisuke Nishida @ 2000-03-14 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo; +Cc: guile-emacs

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <tosi@ees2.oulu.fi> writes:

> Please add guile or guile-emacs in `features' and make M-x
> emacs-version show that.

That's right.  I'll do so in the next version.

> In the README, you suggest copying the Scheme files to
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-scheme/emacs.  You have made them a
> standard part of guile-emacs, so wouldn't it make sense to omit
> the "site-"?  You could even place them in the Emacs source tree,
> so that the new Emacs can use them before it is installed.  The
> makefiles should then be amended to install the scheme/ tree
> just like lisp/, and the startup code should add it in Guile's
> %load-path.

That's what I originally thought and did in the first patch.
But I changed my mind so that I can keep the patch to Emacs
as small as possible.  Your suggestion will be included when
Guile Emacs becomes more popular.

> Are you going to append exclamation points to names of Emacs
> builtins which alter things, like "define-key"?

That's a good idea.  I think we have to talk about these kinds
of issues like how to organize new functions more once internal
design has done.

Thank you for trying my Guile Emacs!