public inbox for guile-emacs@sourceware.org
* frames and windows
@ 2000-03-28 14:51 Keisuke Nishida
From: Keisuke Nishida @ 2000-03-28 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-emacs

Hello,

Emacs uses the word "frame" in the sense of window (in terms of
modern window systems) and the word "window" in the sense of frame.

What about renaming them in terms of GTK+ when we use Emacs Scheme?
I know this is very confusing and controversial, but I would choose
renaming because it will help people after ten years.

-- Kei

* Re: frames and windows
@ 2000-03-29  2:33 ` Kalle Olavi Niemitalo
From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo @ 2000-03-29  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keisuke Nishida; +Cc: guile-emacs

Keisuke Nishida <kxn30@po.cwru.edu> writes:

> What about renaming them in terms of GTK+ when we use Emacs Scheme?
> I know this is very confusing and controversial, but I would choose
> renaming because it will help people after ten years.

We can't switch the names in Emacs Lisp, and Emacs Lisp will
exist after ten years.

If many users know the non-Emacs meanings of "window" and "frame"
and are confused by the Emacs meanings, it might be useful to
switch.  But I didn't find the Emacs meanings too difficult to
learn.

If we switch the names, we must be very very careful about the
frontier between Scheme and Lisp.  All macros which import or
export Lisp variables or functions should convert their names.

I believe it is easier to keep the frontier between Emacs and
window systems.  If someone uses guile-gtk to create a GTK+
window, [s]he can't use that as an Emacs frame anyway.

* Re: frames and windows
@ 2000-03-29  7:49   ` Keisuke Nishida
From: Keisuke Nishida @ 2000-03-29  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: guile-emacs

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <tosi@ees2.oulu.fi> writes:

> I believe it is easier to keep the frontier between Emacs and
> window systems.  If someone uses guile-gtk to create a GTK+
> window, [s]he can't use that as an Emacs frame anyway.

Right.  I guess I shouldn't resist the tradition...