public inbox for guile-emacs@sourceware.org
* guile and emacs
@ 1999-08-28 11:21 Ken Raeburn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1999-08-28 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-emacs

Hi, gang.  Sorry you haven't heard from me in a while.  Here's what's
up:

My RSI is improving, but not gone.  I'm starting to put more time into
Guile-Emacs again.

Emacs 20.4 is out, and a bunch of redisplay changes and other changes
are now getting merged into the Emacs sources.  I've also got a chance
to merge in some of my initial changes for making the main body of the
Emacs code less aware of the Lisp internals.  That'll be what I focus
on next.

At http://www.xemacs.org/Architecting-XEmacs/index.html there are some
ideas some of the XEmacs folks have come up with for improving the
Emacs/Lisp interface, which appear to be independent of the
Emacs/XEmacs split.

In particular, Michael Sperber is looking into moving XEmacs to a
general Scheme base.  Not specifically Guile, for two reasons: 1) a
more general Scheme interface allows later retargeting if desired, or
giving the user the option of multiple back ends for comparison, and
2) he's got some "issues" with Guile's implementation decisions,
including the use of conservative GC.  What he's saying makes sense,
so I'll be looking a bit at separating further into "Lisp" vs "general
Scheme" vs "Guile" bits what I've done so far.  (GC will be an
interesting issue though; I've got some thoughts on that.)

Mike's a researcher in programming languages, and has been working on
(among other things) Lisp->Scheme translation, with a prototype
translator already in the works.  We might be able to build on this.

There's also occasionally some relevant discussion in comp.lang.scheme
and comp.lang.lisp; that's how I got in touch with Mike.

Jim Blandy has been working in Japan with the MULE folks to figure out
a good way to do multilingual support in Guile.  Sounds like it'll be
functionally similar to the Emacs MULE implementation, but not
identical.  He's proposed an interface, so I may start experimenting
with a stub (unibyte-only) version of that interface.

A snapshot of the code I've been working on is at
http://www.mit.edu/~raeburn/guilemacs/guilemacs.tgz if you want to
play with it.  It includes CVS admin files, so if you've got CVS and
an FSF account, you'll be able to do updates starting with that
version.  (For those of you I've already told about it, don't bother
fetching it again, it's the same old snapshot.)

The post-20.4 changes have been pretty huge.  I'm going to try to get
some of my more basic changes merged into the main sources before
trying to merge that stuff back into my CVS tree.

That's it for now...

Ken