public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* gnome-guile, latest cvs, gnomeConf.sh not found
@ 2002-02-07 13:45 David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2002-02-07 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hello,

         SuSE 7.3
         guile-1.7.x (cvs download 4th fev 02)
	 gnome-1.4 is installed

but couldn't run autogen, here is the output. Where can I find gnomeConf.sh,
what module shoud it be part of?

thanks for some hint,
david

;; sh ./autogen.sh output
;; ----------------------------------------------------------------

david@faust:~/ftp/gnome/gnome-guile 134 $ sh ./autogen.sh
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

processing .
Running libtoolize...
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
Running aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal/gnome2-macros  ...
Running autoheader...
autoheader: config.h.in is unchanged
Running automake --gnu  ...
Running autoconf ...
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
processing ./guile-gtk
Running libtoolize...
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `..'.
Running aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal/gnome2-macros  ...
aclocal: configure.in: 68: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
Running autoheader...
autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in configure.in
Running automake --gnu  ...
configure.in: 3: required file `./config.h.in' not found
Makefile.am:42: variable `GTK_LIBS' not defined
Makefile.am:56: variable `GTK_LIBS' not defined
Makefile.am:67: variable `GUILE_LIBS' not defined
Running autoconf ...
configure.in:3: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
configure.in:4: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:11: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:26: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK
processing ./guile-gtk/examples
Running libtoolize...
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../..'.
Running aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal/gnome2-macros  ...
Running automake --gnu  ...
Running autoconf ...
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-compile-warnings ...
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking build system type... i686-suse-linux
checking host system type... i686-suse-linux
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... pass_all
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
checking for gnome-config... no
checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install
david@faust:~/ftp/gnome/gnome-guile 135 $

* Re: gnome-guile, latest cvs, gnomeConf.sh not found
@ 2002-02-07 14:16 ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2002-02-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

sorry for the noise, I found that gnome-libs-devel needed to
be installed, done!

I still can't compile, but will send a clearer message later
David

@ 2002-02-07 14:20 ` Neil W. Van Dyke
From: Neil W. Van Dyke @ 2002-02-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-gtk

I'm not a guile-gtk developer, but I spent at least two person-days
exploring the combinatorial explosion of different ways of building
guile-gtk (each time thinking I must be doing something wrong :), so
here's some recollections that may save someone else some headache:

  1. Unless the patch you mention is to make guile-gtk build against
     Guile 1.7.*, I believe you need Guile 1.5.*, which is labeled
     "branch_release-1-6" in CVS:

         cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/guile \
             co -r branch_release-1-6 guile/guile-core

  2. You will need a Gnome build environment -- not just a GTK one -- to
     run "autogen.sh" for guile-gtk.  (I had to install at least a
     couple dozen new Gnome-related libraries on my Debian Sid box in
     the course various build attempts, so I am not certain what the
     minimum subset of Gnome libraries you will need is.  If you're on
     Debian Sid already, the "gnome-common" package alone may be
     sufficient.)

  3. Though documentation in the latest guile-gtk release states that
     that it supports GTK 2 (1.3) in addition to 1.2, and you will see
     various support code for 2/1.3, Ariel has since clarified that only
     1.2 is supported now.

  4. Under GTK 1.2 and the Guile 1.5.* CVS versions I tried, some of the
     widget demos/tests result in runtime errors.  (These may be
     guile-gtk regressions due to Guile changes, so not necessarily
     guile-gtk's fault.)  Just, if/when you get runtime errors on the
     examples, don't worry that it's your fault.  If you have time to
     debug the causes, I'm sure Ariel would appreciate patches.

--
                                                        Neil W. Van Dyke
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/