public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
From: Brett Viren <bv@bnl.gov>
To: Alex Kim <theseven222@yahoo.com>
Cc: guile-gtk@sources.redhat.com, guile-user@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Newbie pleading for help...
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:02:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Alex Kim writes:
 > The problem with doing everything in guile-gnome is
 > that the toolkit contains too many stuffs already
 > written in c, X, and gl.  And I was hoping that some
 > modification on GUI code will allow me to easily add
 > more features written in guile (in the way plug-ins
 > work; I thought this was what guile was for when I
 > first started learning it---although I now realize it
 > is much more than that).

Ah, okay.  Also, I reread your past posting and saw you wanted to use
gh_repl().  I don't think this will work so well to combine gh_repl()
and some GUI's main loop (maybe it could be made to work with
guile-gtk, maybe not).  So I would abandon gh_repl and instead read in
scheme using the native GUI's text widget and calling gh_eval_str() on
the result and/or load in the scheme as a file with gh_eval_file().
(Or, rather their scm_ equivalents, because I think gh_ interface is
going away sometime, but gh_ is all *I* know right now....)

I successfully used this in a C++/Gtkmm/Guile application that had to
handle interactive users as well as servicing network requests.  BTW,
when passing unkown scheme code into guile, I used the _catch versions
of the functions so that a typo in the scheme code wouldn't bring down
the whole app.

 > In the mean time, I will
 > study your code to get better understaning in this
 > world.

Well I am not a great scheme coder, so don't study it too hard! <grin>

Luck,
-Brett.