I think I found what's wrong. It is not the package as a whole. I used the exapmles to check whether the rpm builds were OK. I thought that if the examples compiled OK then the package would be OK. I suspected that it might be a SMP problem, and it might be. But not when it comes to compile the package, only when it comes to compile the examples. I think that the pagkage was built OK every time. It was just the examples that were failing I think it is last few lines in Makefile.am that is failing foo-glue.c: foo.defs build-guile-gtk glue $< >tmp && mv tmp $@ main.c: foo.defs build-guile-gtk main $< >tmp && mv tmp $@ With this above in Makefile.am a build would fail 9 times of 10 or so. I dont really understand how this works but I think the tmp-something is deleted before the final file is ready written and that it is here it might be an SMP problem. I am building on a dual CPU box. Whith this in Automake.am it works. I have tried several builds. foo-glue.c: foo.defs build-guile-gtk glue $< >$@ main.c: foo.defs build-guile-gtk main $< >$@ Here is the last src.rpm ftp://geek.mine.nu/pub/SRPMS/guile-gtk-20011121-8.src.rpm The latest patch comes as an attach G'nite Bo