public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* Trying to get up to speed on Guile-GTK
@ 2003-05-04 22:55 Scott McLoughlin
From: Scott McLoughlin @ 2003-05-04 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hello,

Long ago in a different life I engineered "LinkLisp" for the then
nascent Windows 3.1 platform. It's long dead, but it still shows up in
some FAQ's and what not.

Anyway, After a rather long hiatus, I want to get back to work with with
Lisp like languages. Surveying the Linux/Lisp/Scheme landscape, guile
seems to be where it's at. PLT also seems to enjoying a healthy user
community, but I didn't see any effort with PLT to integrate with
mainstream GTK and Gnome GUI platforms, which will doom it to marginal
lisp ghetto status. So guile it is.

So now I'm trying to get a handle on where guile/gtk integration stands.
  I managed to get guile-gtk to compile and install. Most of the
examples ran, but there were several errors.

But then reading through this list archive, I must admit total confusion
:-)  I've scoured the Web and this list for a day or so. Alot of the Web
pages look neglected, so I'm not sure what is current information. I
still am confused. So here are my questions.

(a) What's gobject? What's gnome-guile? What versions of GTK do they
target? Where are the authoritative repositories for the most current
stable and development versions? Is there a stable version?

(b) Is there a current and active effort to target GTK2 and Gnome as
shipped with most current commercial distros (Suse, Redhat, Mandrake,
etc.)?

(c) I've seen encouraging talk of a standard goops package for GTK and
gnome. Is this effort underway? Do they need help?

(d) Might the guile maintainers someday distrubte gtk support along with
the standard guile distribution? If not, why not? In 2003, basic GUI
support seems just as important as stdout support if not more so.

(e) I don't see any effort to package guile-gtk (or whatever is the
current focus of development) in an RPM for the popular distros - RH8,
RH9, Mandrake, Suse, etc. This would *greatly* help spread guile use in
general. If there's interest, I'd be happy to volunteer in this effort
once I get my bearings regarding guile and guile-gtk.

(f) Is there any effort to support libglade2? This would also go a long
way to getting guile fit and trim for mainstream GUI development.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to diving into guile and guile-gtk.

Thanks!

Scott

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-05-04 22:55 UTC | newest]