public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
From: Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at>
To: guile-gtk@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Speedups for GTK2 bindings?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at> writes:

> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>>
>>> I'll probably try what speedups result of re-implementing the
>>> re-export-bindings and functions->methods-public helpers in C.
>>
>> Great! A lot of that code is (as you know) slow slow slow slow slow, and
>> since I don't fire up the gtk side of things too often, I don't really
>> see it very much.
>>
> It seems that the speed gains from doing the generics stuff from C
> (I've made up a version that is basically the scheme code translated
> to the Guile C API) are minimal at best. I think that the add-method
> invocation is the slow call. I've yet to profile the code to see what
> causes it to run so slow.

I've now checked in most of my non-GError related changes to
guile-gobject. This includes creating the generic functions immediatly
(as suggested by Andy Wingo), not in a seperate pass, which is cleaner
IMO and also reduces the binding load time by about 10% on my machine
(10 seconds -> 9 seconds -- YMMV, I'd like to get this number
verified...)

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

Python is executable pseudocode, Perl is executable line-noise.