public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* GError
@ 2003-05-24 11:49 Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2003-05-24 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hi Andreas and Kevin,

Sorry I can't reply directly to the earlier emails, I was on holiday and
not on the list at that point.

I'd first like to thank you all for the interest in the GTK2 branch of
things, especially as expressed by code. That's great! More about that
in my next email.

With regards to GError, I think the solution you propose is too much
like C programming. Wouldn't it be nicer if, instead of forcing the
programmer to know about GErrors, if we simply threw an exception if the
GError is set? That would seem to me to be the more sensible
alternative. We can make the load-defs code recognize the presence of a
GError in the last argument position (as it always is) and then... Hmm,
it's a bit of a PITA in that the desired scheme function has fewer
arguments than the C function. I think that to support this fully, we
would have to extend g-wrap. What do you think about this idea?

And along the extending-g-wrap lines, I sent a mail to Rob Browning
asking him to accept the newer gw-standard-spec.scm into the distro, but
have not received a reply as of yet. Perhaps we need to try a bit
harder.

Anyway, do let me know what you think about all of this.

regards,

wingo.