public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
From: Mark Seaborn <mseaborn@argonet.co.uk>
To: guile-gtk@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Making gdk-event-area work
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 13:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> Mark Seaborn <mseaborn@argonet.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Here's a patch to make gdk-event-area work.
>
> Thanks!  I have applied it.

Thanks.

[snip]
> > (Incidentally, converting rectangles to pairs of pairs isn't very
> > nice.  Are there any plans to use a more abstract data type?)
>
> There are no plans, but also no big objections to change it, I think.
> What do you think is not nice about the current way?

Pairs are usually used to represent lists, and a lot of static type
systems only let you store lists in the cdr of a pair.  It's true
there are times when improper lists are useful, but I don't like being
gratuitously incompatible with other type systems.  I might want my
Scheme code to interoperate with them later.

It's also not very readable using `car', `cdr', etc. for this.  I
suggest providing some accessor functions, `bbox-min-x', `bbox-min-y',
etc., and saying the representation might change in a later version.

> You could always build an abstraction on top of it.

I'd end up building abstractions on top of every library I use. :-)

--
         Mark Seaborn
   - mseaborn@bigfoot.com - http://members.xoom.com/mseaborn/ -

        ``We are quite lucky really this year because Christmas
               falls on Christmas day'' -- Bobby Gould