public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* Re: [help-serveez] How does the config language stuff work?
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.21.0211142353240.3186-100000@nikita.raimi.lkcc.org>
@ 2002-11-15  2:26 ` Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2002-11-15  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-serveez; +Cc: guile-gtk

[Note: I CCed the guile-gtk mailing list to maybe get some input about
guile-gobject]

Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob <raimi@lkcc.org> writes:

> On 14 Nov 2002, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
> hi!
>
> > Still here? OK. What I now want is the user to able to configure the
> > services via guile, just as serveez does for the servers. So it would
> > be very nice for me to have a short outline how this is done (I have
> > quite some knowledge of the Guile C bindings, FYI) and if i can use
> > the SVZ_REGISTER mechanism for my purposes. If not, I'd offer to
> > extend this stuff so things like this are possible.
>
> okay, i try to answer this, Stefan should correct me if i lie.

Thx.

[nice explanation snipped]

> i am not sure if you can easily re-use the function since it is used for
> server configuration structs only. perhaps you can re-use the idea and
> some code-snippets to implement a generic guile-struct <-> c-struct
> converter with good error messages.
>
> if you want to do this, i suggest to
> 1) define the data types you want to have available in C
>    (Strings, various Integers, other numbers, arrays of values, maps,
>     whatever)
> 2) define how this stuff has to look like in guile.
> 3) define how the C part has to tell your mapper what it wants
> 4) implement the mapper
> 5) dont forget the error messages (yes, i am obsessed with those)

Hmm, I guess such a thing would be nice to have. But I think something
similiar might already exist - there is guile-gobject (for the GLib
object system), which probably does this & more. I will try to go this
way, implementing my services as objects derived from GObject. When I
have the stuff running in C, I'll look into guile-gobject.

Looking into GObject (and guile-gobject) might be an idea for serveez,
too: It seems quite easy to implement dynamically loadable types with
it, which could be used to simplify serveez's server loading
code.

> again, i have to apologize for any misinformation above. i have done
> nothing useful for serveez in quite some time now. i am glad that stefan
> is so forgiving with me :) i was answering anyway since this stuff used to
> be my baby (which oddly mutated into some strange creature i hardly
> recognize anymore :-). i program way to much java lately...

Thanks anyway ;-)

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Dru@ICQ        | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-11-15 10:26 UTC | newest]