public inbox for infinity@sourceware.org
From: Nathan Sidwell <nathan@acm.org>
To: Gary Benson <gbenson@redhat.com>, infinity@sourceware.org
Cc: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@systemhalted.org>, roland@hack.frob.com
Subject: Re: infinity notes
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 12:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Gary,

> I also appreciate that there are other users who would be unhappy
> if they had to install debuginfo where they didn't before.  I'm
> trying to balance everyone's needs with this.

Yeah, I can see that's a challenge.

> into separated debuginfo.  Its also possible to imagine that different
> notes could go in different places in the same build, so you could
> have very debugger-specific notes like pretty-printer accessors in
> debuginfo, and more general purpose notes like the thread debug ones
> unstripped.

That flexibility is good.  It might be wise to document it early on with
an example design at least -- so that those who add additional
functionality don't blindly add new NOTES segments.

> The "unknown note #5" you saw at Cauldron will go away once tools
> are updated to recognise the notes.  I have patches ready to go for
> binutils, and I'll likely update elfutils too once everything's
> more fixed.

Right.  My point was that someone without an updated tool might be more
informed. (Hey, if you have users who don't want debug info, I'll have
ones that have old tools!)

Anyway, it seems like you're thinking about the issue, which is great!

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell