public inbox for insight-announce@sourceware.org
* RFC: Bug database cleaning
@ 2008-02-21  1:32 Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2008-02-21  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-announce, insight

Hi,

Most regulars probably know that I don't respond to bugs quite as
quickly as I should: I just seldom use the bug database -- largely
because as I respond to bugs, I seldom hear back from users.

As a result, the bug database is quite a bit larger than it should be.
So, I would like to close all bugs older than approximately one year.
That would affect any bug # less than 306.

Any one have any objections to this?

Keith

* Re: RFC: Bug database cleaning
@ 2008-02-21  1:48 ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2008-02-21  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight-announce, insight

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 17:17 -0800, Keith Seitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Most regulars probably know that I don't respond to bugs quite as
> quickly as I should: I just seldom use the bug database -- largely
> because as I respond to bugs, I seldom hear back from users.
>
> As a result, the bug database is quite a bit larger than it should be.
> So, I would like to close all bugs older than approximately one year.
> That would affect any bug # less than 306.
>
> Any one have any objections to this?

Provided those bugs on the tracker have been deemed invalid / closed /
resolved / patched / duplicate / whatever, then yes, of course.
Otherwise, you are losing a great deal of valuable information and the
fact that they just old doesn't really seem like reason enough to delete
them.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred

* Re: Bug database cleaning
@ 2008-02-21 15:31 ` terptom
From: terptom @ 2008-02-21 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-announce

From: Keith Seitz @ 2008-02-21 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: terptom; +Cc: insight-announce

terptom wrote:
> [...]

Are you offering to help?

> People are much less likely to put in a 'fresh' bug report if an entry is already in the bug-base.
>
> Q:  "When is a problem not a problem?"
>
> A: "When I ignore it for more than a year."
>
> Bugs die of lonliness when left uncorrected?

Let me restate: Does any one mind if I close bugs which I cannot
reproduce in CVS HEAD and are in released versions of insight older than
a year-ish (aka anything earlier than 6.6 or maybe 6.5).

I apologize for being a big vague.

Keith