public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* RE: insight/133: Remote debugging errors
@ 2002-03-22  8:43 Christopher Dow
From: Christopher Dow @ 2002-03-22  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/133; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christopher Dow <cdow@sonicblue.com>
To: "'kseitz@sources.redhat.com'" <kseitz@sources.redhat.com>,
   Christopher Dow <cdow@sonicblue.com>,
   "'insight-prs@sources.redhat.com'"
	 <insight-prs@sources.redhat.com>,
   "'kseitz@sources.redhat.com'"
	 <kseitz@sources.redhat.com>,
   "'nobody@sources.redhat.com'"
	 <nobody@sources.redhat.com>,
   "'insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com'"
	 <insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: RE: insight/133: Remote debugging errors
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:40:27 -0800

 When I tried that using Cygwin->Linux or Linux->Linux (using localhost:10001
 as the port), it printed the message "Remote debugging using <name>:10001",
 then never gave a prompt, and failed to come back at all.  Odd.

From: kseitz @ 2002-03-22  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cdow, insight-prs, kseitz

Synopsis: Remote debugging errors

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Fri Mar 22 09:04:39 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Reproducible with command line. User asking gdb folks.

@ 2002-03-22  9:03 Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-03-22  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/133; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
To: Christopher Dow <cdow@sonicblue.com>
Cc: "'insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com'" <insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:53:37 -0800 (PST)

 On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Christopher Dow wrote:

 > When I tried that using Cygwin->Linux or Linux->Linux (using localhost:10001
 > as the port), it printed the message "Remote debugging using <name>:10001",
 > then never gave a prompt, and failed to come back at all.  Odd.

 Then this is definitely a backend bug. Here's what I would recommend...

 First, search the gdb mail archives to see if someone else has had this
 problem. If you find nothing, then I would capture the output of a gdb
 session (or cut and paste it) and either send it to gdb@sources.redhat.com
 (or submit a bug at http://sources.redhat.com/gdb). There are many more
 backend developers than gui developers.

 (You might want to add "set debug remote 1" to your session, too, for the
 gdb folks. This will give them real insight into the problem. (No pun
 intended!)

 Keith

* Re: insight/133: Remote debugging errors
@ 2002-03-21 18:13 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2002-03-21 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cdow, insight-prs, kseitz, nobody

@ 2002-03-21 12:23 cdow
From: cdow @ 2002-03-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         133
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       Remote debugging errors
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Mar 21 12:23:00 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     cdow@sonicblue.com
>Release:        5.1
When I try to use remote debugging from a W2K or Mandrake 8.1 box to a mandrake 8.1 box using the gdbserver built from the insight 5.1.1 source distribution, it simply doesn't work.  When going from windows (insight) to linux (gdbserver), I get a bunch of messages in the console window about reply lengths being wrong, and when I go from linux (insight) to linux (gdbserver), I get no indication of an error condition, but it still does not actually seem to run the program.
>How-To-Repeat:
target>  gdbserver <debug>:10001 <progname>