public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* insight/141: shared libraries build pb: unable to link gdb/insight with already installed tk/tcl
@ 2002-05-06 11:33 rjvbertin
From: rjvbertin @ 2002-05-06 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         141
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       shared libraries build pb: unable to link gdb/insight with already installed tk/tcl
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon May 06 11:33:02 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     R.J.V. Bertin
>Release:        5.1.1
In the default build, gdb/insight is huge, and installs a considerable number of static libraries (that itself was linked against). There is very little installation/configuration information. The configure command understands the --enable-shared flag, and will generate shared libraries instead of static. The size of the resulting gdb is hardly smaller, and it is not linked against the system tk/tcl libs.
When I force that to happen, ide_initialize_paths claims it can't find the TCL library in a path that I don't know how to modify.

Also, the make terminates because
ranlib libitk3.0.so
ranlib: libitk3.0.so: File format not recognized
(running it again succesfully completes the build).
>How-To-Repeat:
configure --enable-shared
make
# after the ranlib error
make

ls -l gdb/gdb
>Fix:
Yes, please, fix it!
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-05-06 18:33 UTC | newest]