public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* insight/171: Insight hangs when I run a program
@ 2002-07-20 14:33 null_
From: null_ @ 2002-07-20 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         171
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       Insight hangs when I run a program
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Jul 20 14:33:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     null_@gmx.net
>Release:        Insight-5.2
It seems I have the same problem as the #118 bug. When I execute Insight from my window manager's menu the program starts correctly. I can open any window and issues commands, such as open. When I open a program and run said program Insight hangs. The console output windows says starting xxx. The stop sign is up and I can't click any buttons or do anything. I have to kill -9 it to get it off my screen. When I start Insight from a xterm window it works correctly. I can run the program without any problems or hangups.
>How-To-Repeat:
I can consistantly repeat the problem by executing Insight from my window manager (WindowMaker), and running it on any program.
>Fix:
No idea.
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: insight/171: Insight hangs when I run a program
@ 2002-08-28 17:08 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2002-08-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-prs, kseitz, nobody, null_

Synopsis: Insight hangs when I run a program

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Aug 28 17:08:10 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Wed Aug 28 17:08:10 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    I think this is an artifact of GDB's terminal handling. Does this work if you launch from the command line? Do you have the "use xterm as inferior's terminal" option selected in Target Settings? (I presume this is a native configuration.)

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=171

* Re: insight/171: Insight hangs when I run a program
@ 2002-07-22 11:43 Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-07-22 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/171; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
To: <null_@gmx.net>
Cc: <insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: insight/171: Insight hangs when I run a program
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:42:02 -0700 (PDT)

 > It seems I have the same problem as the #118 bug. When I execute Insight
 > from my window manager's menu the program starts correctly. I can open
 > any window and issues commands, such as open. When I open a program and
 > run said program Insight hangs. The console output windows says starting
 > xxx. The stop sign is up and I can't click any buttons or do anything. I
 > have to kill -9 it to get it off my screen. When I start Insight from a
 > xterm window it works correctly. I can run the program without any
 > problems or hangups.

 This is a known problem with gdb/Insight, which requires a controlling
 terminal.

 You can work around the problem, I think, by going to File->Target
 Settings... and selecting "Use xterm as inferior's I/O".

 Keith