public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* RE: insight/170: Assembly windows display .long 0 for remote targ ets
@ 2002-08-29 11:53 Haji, Faizal [Cont]
From: Haji, Faizal [Cont] @ 2002-08-29 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/170; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Haji, Faizal [Cont]" <Faizal.Haji@gdcanada.com>
To: "'kseitz@sources.redhat.com'" <kseitz@sources.redhat.com>,
	"Haji, Faizal [Cont]" <Faizal.Haji@gdcanada.com>,
	"'insight-prs@sources.redhat.com'" <insight-prs@sources.redhat.com>,
	"'kseitz@sources.redhat.com'" <kseitz@sources.redhat.com>,
	"'nobody@sources.redhat.com'" <nobody@sources.redhat.com>,
	"'insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com'" <insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: RE: insight/170: Assembly windows display .long 0 for remote targ
	ets
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:43:04 -0600

 >$ powerpc-eabi-gdb -nw -nx -q foo.elf
 >    (gdb) disassemble DeleteChar
 >
 >    Does it also show ".long 0x0"? If not, I'll need a testcase from you.

 No. The correct disassembly is displayed.

 BTW, our executable is built such that the code exists in ROM but gets
 copied over to RAM on bootup. The symbols in the ELF file point to the code
 in RAM and NOT ROM. There is no executable code in the RAM region within the
 ELF file.

 I think there should be a mode within Insight to read instructions from
 target and not the executable file.

 This problem is not a priority for us since the developers are using the
 non-GUI version of GDB under Emacs (I guess you can't teach old dogs new
 tricks).