public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: insight/235: "Step" and "Next" doesn't work. Instead I get "Step Asm Inst" and "Next Asm Inst"
@ 2003-08-20 14:55 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2003-08-20 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-prs, kseitz, nobody, pal.frenger

Synopsis: "Step" and "Next" doesn't work. Instead I get "Step Asm Inst" and "Next Asm Inst"

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Aug 20 14:55:08 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Wed Aug 20 14:55:08 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Your bug report is a little sparse on information, but let me explain what is supposed to happen.

    When debugging in SOURCE mode, you should step in the source language (i.e. N does "next" for C/C++/Java/etc; "nexti" for assembly).

    When debugging in MIXED mode or ASSEMBLY mode, N does "nexti" and S does "stepi".

    When debugging in SRC+ASM mode, N will do "next" if the mouse is in the SRC pane; "nexti" if it is in the ASM pane.

    So, if the source window is displaying assembly, the only way to single-step one source line is to press the next button on the toolbar or select it from the menu.

    Have you tried 6.0?

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=235

* Re: insight/235: "Step" and "Next" doesn't work. Instead I get "Step Asm Inst" and "Next Asm Inst"
@ 2005-09-16 18:43 iainmelvin
From: iainmelvin @ 2005-09-16 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/235; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: iainmelvin <iainmelvin@gmail.com>
To: insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: insight/235: "Step" and "Next" doesn't work. Instead I get "Step
 Asm Inst" and "Next Asm Inst"
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:33:56 +0100

 i had almost exactly these symptoms, and the problem was fixed for me by
 typing...
 (gdb) set solib-absolute-prefix /
 ... into the command line window in insight.

 The apparent 'step' and 'next' inactivity is due to gdb not being able
 to set breakpoints for the step/next behaviours.
 Not being able to get paths to libraries seems to affect gdb's ablity to
 set breakpoints.

 The solib-adbsolute-prefix variable is set at configure time for both
 gdb and insight, and the defaults i have in my debian [sarge 3.1] are..
 gdb [gdb 6.3-debian] has the default : ""
 insight [GNU gdb 2004-08-11-cvs] has the default : "/usr/share".
 when I set the value to "/usr/share" in gdb, it has exactly the same
 broken behaviour with 'next' and 'step'.

 I guess this is down to the distribution to get the config right, so
 I've sent this to bugs at debian:
 nice debugger though :)

* insight/235: "Step" and "Next" doesn't work. Instead I get "Step Asm Inst" and "Next Asm Inst"
@ 2003-08-05 16:43 pal.frenger
From: pal.frenger @ 2003-08-05 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats