public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: insight/261: targetselection.itb/GDB serial baudrate when in cygwin
@ 2004-08-04 14:53 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2004-08-04 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian.dalziel, insight-prs, kseitz, nobody

Synopsis: targetselection.itb/GDB serial baudrate when in cygwin

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Aug  4 14:53:09 2004
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Wed Aug  4 14:53:09 2004
State-Changed-Why:
    If you must enter baud rates as hex values, someone has issued a command to gdb to set the input radix to hex (set input-radix 16). I do not recommend doing this. There are probably dozens of other places where this could cause problems. [This was probably done in a user startup script ~/gdbtk.ini or ~/.gdbtkinit.]

    The port problem thing is fixed in HEAD. I recommend grabbing src/gdb/gdbtk/library/targetselection.itb from there.

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=261

* RE: insight/261: targetselection.itb/GDB serial baudrate when in  cygwin
@ 2004-08-05  7:33 Dalziel Ian ACPRD-UK.NCLTW
From: Dalziel Ian ACPRD-UK.NCLTW @ 2004-08-05  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/261; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Dalziel Ian ACPRD-UK.NCLTW" <Ian.Dalziel@vatechuk.com>
To: kseitz@sources.redhat.com, "Dalziel Ian ACPRD-UK.NCLTW"
	 <Ian.Dalziel@vatechuk.com>, insight-prs@sources.redhat.com,
	kseitz@sources.redhat.com, nobody@sources.redhat.com,
	insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: RE: insight/261: targetselection.itb/GDB serial baudrate when in
	cygwin
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:27:30 +0100

 Hi,

 Thanks very much for the info.

 Yes, we had stupidly picked up a .gdbinit from an example toolset, which had
 in it :-
 set output-radix 16
 set input-radix 16

 As you may have guessed we are a bit green at all this GNU stuff and we were
 just wondering if you could expand on the port problem i.e. what is HEAD? We
 also have the same problem with Insight6.1.

 Many Thamks

 Ian and Mike

 Ian Dalziel
 Senior Design Engineer
 VA TECH Reyrolle ACP Ltd
 P.O. Box 8
 Hebburn
 Tyne & Wear
 NE31 1TZ

 Ext: 5239
 Tel: +44 (0)191 401 5239
 Fax: +44 (0)191 401 5575
 Email: ian.dalziel@vatechuk.com

 -----
 DISCLAIMER  :  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it ("Message") is
 intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain
 confidential information.  You are hereby notified that the taking of any
 action in reliance upon, or any review, retransmission, dissemination,
 distribution, printing or copying of this Message or any part thereof by
 anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you
 have received this Message in error, you should delete this Message
 immediately and advise the sender by return e-mail. Opinions,
 conclusions and other information in this Message that do not relate to the
 official business of VA TECH Reyrolle ACP Ltd shall be understood as neither
 given nor endorsed by VA TECH Reyrolle ACP Ltd.

@ 2004-08-04  9:13 ian.dalziel
From: ian.dalziel @ 2004-08-04  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         261
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       targetselection.itb/GDB serial baudrate when in cygwin
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Aug 04 09:13:01 UTC 2004
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Ian Dalziel / Mike Durham - VATECH Reyrolle ACP Ltd
>Release:        Insight 6.1

Insight on Cygwin - Target configuration Issues

Insight-6.0
Configured as --host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=ppc-elf

WinXP running Cygwin

When "load new executable" the connection settings show the following problems :-

1. When setting the baud rate the listed options for :- 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200
are accepted as Hex values i.e. a baudrate setting of 38400 is returned as 230400 in the
display box.

2. The only port settings available are "com1" and "com2", however GDB will not accept
these ports i.e. "com1: is not a typewriter"

We require this because, only by using the "Run" button and "load new executable" are we
able to correctly display the program source, including 'mixed display'.

Note:-
By running the following script commands, from console window we are able to connect and
load the program to the target, but have no source display etc

#
# Serial connection macro for Com1 57600,8,n,1
# 115200
set remotebaud 1c200

# 57600
# set remotebaud e100

show remotebaud

set debug remote 1

target async /dev/ttyS0

load target.abs

symbol-file -readnow target.abs

Note :
- again we have had to use the equivalent hex of the required baudrate
- we have used /dev/ttyS0 instead of com1, which still returns "not a typewriter".
>How-To-Repeat:
See above description
>Fix:
Yes we can connect using the console, but this does not seem to sync Insight and make it source aware.