public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: insight/271: Problems during Configure phase of build
@ 2005-09-01  2:39 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2005-09-01  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freddie, insight-prs, kseitz, nobody

Synopsis: Problems during Configure phase of build

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Sep  1 02:39:29 2005
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Thu Sep  1 02:39:29 2005
State-Changed-Why:
    You did not post anything resembling an error, but I do see from what you did provide that the toolchain did understand --target=avr. (It listed the target type as "avr-unknown-none".)

    It confuses me to see you say that avr-gdb builds but insight doesn't. Insight *is* gdb. Can you provide me with a more detailed build log displaying the error?

    I've just downloaded the snapshot you used and built the avr target on linux without incident. Not much help for you, I know, but it's a data point. Perhaps there is a host problem.

    As for docs for configure options, refer to the GDB users manual at http://sourceware.org/gdb/documentation .

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=271

* insight/271: Problems during Configure phase of build
@ 2005-09-01  0:53 freddie
From: freddie @ 2005-09-01  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         271
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       Problems during Configure phase of build
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Sep 01 00:53:00 UTC 2005
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Fred Edwards
>Release:        insight-weekly-6.30.50.20050822.tar
When the ./configure command is issued with the following command:
"./configure --prefix=$/usr/local/bin --target=avr --disable-nls"  I receive an error:
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
checking target system type... avr-unknown-none
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... (cached) yes
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for gnatbind... no
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... (cached) no

The config process does not understand the target type =avr.  Is there some docs somewhere to explain what are the exact requirements for this field.
All the other avr tools compile and link just fine, including avr-gdb.  I have been using the other tools under Xcode for about 3 months without any problems.  When I compare the avr code file to the code file generated by the Winavr package running under Win98 the code files are exactly the same.
>How-To-Repeat:
Configure repeats error consistenly.
>Fix:
Don't know