public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* insight/291: Multiple users impact each other when debugging with insight in the same Linux.
@ 2006-03-27  9:03 lyons.chang
From: lyons.chang @ 2006-03-27  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats; +Cc: lchang

>Number:         291
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       Multiple users impact each other when debugging with insight in the same Linux.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Mar 27 09:03:01 GMT 2006
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Lyons Chang
>Release:        insight-6.4 insigh-CVS-6.4.5
If 2 persons login to one Linux host and both debug with a insight, they will impact each other.
For instance, one person close his insight, other insight instances are closed, too. One person issue "step over", others also step over. very stange.

2 insight instance in 2 vnc sessions in the same machine will also have this behaviour. More stange is that 2 insight spawned by same person always work fine.

I have tested with gdb6.4, it works well. "step over" does not impact each other.
Insight 6.1 does not have this issue. and I have not found insight 6.2 & 6.3 to test.
>How-To-Repeat:
2 persons login to one Linux host and both start debugging with insight.

Please contact me if you can not reproduce it. This is really a critical issue.
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: insight/291: Multiple users impact each other when debugging with insight in the same Linux.
@ 2006-11-30 23:19 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2006-11-30 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-prs, kseitz, lchang, lyons.chang, nobody

Synopsis: Multiple users impact each other when debugging with insight in the same Linux.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Nov 30 23:19:01 2006
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 30 23:19:01 2006
State-Changed-Why:
    I thought I responded to this, but maybe that was on the mailing list. Anyway, the trick is to disable Insight's IPC option. It is really quite unnerving to me that this was implemented that way, but it was. I don't consider it very useful, anyway, so I never even noticed the problem. Change Preferences->Advanced...->IPC Support and disable it. Alternative to change it for everyone (by default -- users with a preference file will still need to disable it manually), edit $INSTALLDIR/share/insight1.0/prefs.tcl and change the setting on the line that starts "pref define gdb/ipc/enabled" to "0".

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=291