public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* insight/303: insight always quit itself when I debug
@ 2006-10-26  7:33 gliferhan
From: gliferhan @ 2006-10-26  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         303
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       insight always quit itself when I debug
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Oct 26 07:33:01 UTC 2006
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     gliferhan@gmail.com
>Release:        insight6.5 and 6.4
always quit with this warning:
varobj.c:1471:internal-error:my_value_equal:Assertion:`!value_lazy(vail)'failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session?
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
??
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: insight/303: insight always quit itself when I debug
@ 2007-05-14 16:53 Andrew Raybould
From: Andrew Raybould @ 2007-05-14 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/303; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Andrew Raybould" <ajr@thales.com>
To: <insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: insight/303: insight always quit itself when I debug
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:47:35 -0400

 I get this with Insight 6.6, but have no corresponding problem when I
 use gdb, even the one that has been built in the insight bin directory.

 Here's a test program (compiled with the command line g++ -g itest.C -o
 itest):

 int main () {
   char *p =3D (char*)0;
   return 0;
 }

 To trigger the problem, break on the return statement, and then either:
    a. Select the expression '*p' in the second line.
    b. Float the pointer over the highlighted expression. So long as it
 is over the '*', it shows 'p=3D(char*)0', but as soon as it touches the
 'p', the assertion fires.

    Or try to set *p as a watch expression.

 In gdb, the equivalent actions, 'p *p' and 'watch *p', simply elicit
 'Cannot access memory at address 0x0'.

 The system:

 uname -a
 Linux XXX 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:32:02 EDT 2006 x86_64
 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

 CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY NOTICE

 This e-mail contains information that may be confidential and =
 proprietary. It is to be read and used solely by the intended =
 recipient(s). Thales, Temujin and their affiliates retain all =
 proprietary rights they may have in the information. If you are not an =
 intended recipient, please notify us immediately either by reply e-mail =
 or by telephone at 212-509-3111 and delete this e-mail (including any =
 attachments hereto) immediately without reading, disseminating, =
 distributing or copying. We cannot give any assurances that this e-mail =
 and any attachments are free of viruses and other harmful code. Thales =
 and Temujin reserve the right to monitor, intercept and block all =
 communications involving its computer systems.

* Re: insight/303: insight always quit itself when I debug
@ 2006-11-30 22:53 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2006-11-30 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gliferhan, insight-prs, kseitz, nobody

Synopsis: insight always quit itself when I debug

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Nov 30 22:53:40 2006
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 30 22:53:40 2006
State-Changed-Why:
    This is almost certainly a gdb bug. Try running insight's and gdb's varobj testsuites to see if they exhibit the problem. If not, you're going to have to supply a (hopefully simple) testcase to reproduce this. FWIW, technically it is gdb that is quitting (because of the internal error). That's what gdb does.

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=303