public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* RE: insight/328: Remote debugging - register window does not get updated after download
@ 2008-02-21 10:43 Arpa Monika
From: Arpa Monika @ 2008-02-21 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/328; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Arpa Monika" <Monika.Arpa@austriamicrosystems.com>
To: <kseitz@sources.redhat.com>, <insight-prs@sources.redhat.com>,
   "Arpa Monika" <Monika.Arpa@austriamicrosystems.com>,
   <nobody@sources.redhat.com>, <insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: RE: insight/328: Remote debugging - register window does not get updated after download
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:34:12 +0100

 Hello!

 1. I am opening my "axf"-File in the debugger ("File" Menu). =20
 2. I use the "Run" Menu entry "Connect to target" to establish the
 connection.=20
 3. I use the "Run" Menu entry "Download" to load the file to the
 arm-processor.

 Than I see that my windows are not updated. Neither is the
 register-window updated nor is the appropriate source file loaded, nor
 is the correct line highlighed as the program-counter position. All
 windows show the state after I called "Connect to target". Connect to
 target works correct, it reads all values from the target and updates
 its windows.

 If you need further information please let me know. I would be very glad
 if you could provide me with a fix for the problem.

 Thanks,
 Monika  =20

@ 2009-11-16 12:23 Robert Bu
From: Robert Bu @ 2009-11-16 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/328; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Robert Bu <robert_bu@realsil.com.cn>
To: <insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: insight/328: Remote debugging - register window does not get
 updated after download
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:14:49 +0800

 Hi,

 I have the same problem here (insight 6.8-1). I can see the updated
 registers if I select another group, such as "system". However, the
 register remain as read-only. They become editable only after I run some
 instructions. And if I connect to remote target first, then open the
 register window, all works right.

 I think it can be reproduced by gdbserver. If I open the register window
 first, then connect to the remote target (through "target remote xxx" in
 console window), the register shown in insight's register window is
 read-only. However, if I connect to the remote target first, then open
 the register window, all seems OK. And in the former problematic
 situation, if I close the register windown, then open it again, it's
 also OK. Maybe, there's some event missing for the register window.

 --

 Best regards.
 Robert

* RE: insight/328: Remote debugging - register window does not get updated after download
@ 2008-02-22  9:23 Arpa Monika
From: Arpa Monika @ 2008-02-22  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kseitz; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/328; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Arpa Monika" <Monika.Arpa@austriamicrosystems.com>
To: <kseitz@sources.redhat.com>, <insight-prs@sources.redhat.com>,
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:18:06 +0100

 Hello!

 I tried also the "run" button. This is not really an improvement. Here
 is what it does:
 1. Connect to the remote target.
 2. Download the axf-File to the target.
 3. Immediatly start execution on the target - <<<<<<<<<<< that is not
 what I want.
 4. Stop at the first breakpoint that I have set.
 5. Show the appropriate source file, and registers.
 6. Show that the program is not running anymore - <<<<<<<<<<< <that is
 not what I want.
 7. To make it accept any new "step", "next", etc commands I need to
 click on "Connect to target" again. - Although the GDB-Server still
 shows that it is connected.=20

 So using the run button does not help me.=20

 Best regards,
 Monika

@ 2008-02-21  1:31 kseitz
From: kseitz @ 2008-02-21  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-prs, kseitz, monika.arpa, nobody

Synopsis: Remote debugging - register window does not get updated after download

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Feb 21 01:31:32 2008
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Thu Feb 21 01:31:32 2008
State-Changed-Why:
    Yeah, that sounds like a problem. I'll bet an event is not being properly generated when after the attach and/or download happens.

    Alas, it's been so long since I've used an embedded target with gdb, that I don't exactly remember how all this is supposed to work (e.g., where exactly the event is supposed to get generated)...

    Before I make some suggestions on how to fix this, I need a little more information: Are you using the Run button to do all of this, or are you using either the console window (typing "target ..." and "load") or the Run menu options? I *think* that if you use the Run button, this should work. I'll bet it does not work for the other cases because of the command-line/GUI disconnect from which Insight suffers.

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=328

* insight/328: Remote debugging - register window does not get updated after download
@ 2008-02-14 23:33 monika.arpa
From: monika.arpa @ 2008-02-14 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         328
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       Remote debugging - register window does not get updated after download
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Feb 14 23:33:01 UTC 2008
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     monika.arpa@austriamicrosystems.com
>Release:        GNU gdb 6.7.1
Here is my setup:
I have built an arm-elf-insight under cygwin.
I have an arm-9-core to that I connect the arm-elf-insight via TCP/IP (over the Segger JLink GDB Server).

Here is what I do:
I start my segger gdb server.
I start my arm-elf-insight debugger.
I load my axf (which is the ARM ELF) file into the debugger (with "file" "open").
I open the register window.
I connect to the target.
Now the registers are read from the target (and the reg PC is set e.g. to 0x18).
I download the axf file to the target (part of the AXF file is the entry point).

Now the reg PC is not updated to the entry point in the register window. However if I read the PC value directly in the console window it is set to the entry point.
Shouldn't the register window be updated after a download?